How do I SELECT from a Table, whose name is contained in a column?

leash123

Okay, weird issue...

I have a 6 tables, all with the same structure, but I've separated them to reduce computation time (each table corresponds to a category, and so the 6 tables are independent of one another).

I'm doing a SELECT statement from another table, which has one column which contains the name of one of the 6 tables. Because I'm trying to do this all in one a single SQL call, what I'm trying to do (but this won't work) is:

SELECT id, (SELECT name FROM a.table_name WHERE id=a.id) as name FROM linkage_table a;

Where linkage_table contains a bunch of columns, including the column table_name, which is the name of the table that I want to do the inner-select statement...

MySQL returns the error that a.table_name doesn't exist.

Any help?

Sorry if this is tough to understand, :) Let me know if I didn't explain it well, and I'll try again.

Okay, weird issue...

I have a 6 tables, all with the same structure, but I've separated them to reduce computation time (each table corresponds to a category, and so the 6 tables are independent of one another).

I'm doing a SELECT statement from another table, which has one column which contains the name of one of the 6 tables. Because I'm trying to do this all in one a single SQL call, what I'm trying to do (but this won't work) is:

SELECT id, (SELECT name FROM a.table_name WHERE id=a.id) as name FROM linkage_table a;

Where linkage_table contains a bunch of columns, including the column table_name, which is the name of the table that I want to do the inner-select statement...

MySQL returns the error that a.table_name doesn't exist.

Any help?

Sorry if this is tough to understand, :) Let me know if I didn't explain it well, and I'll try again.

You can't do choose the table name dynamically... do it in 2 sql statements, or decide programmtically.

I'm not sure if you meant this when you said you would use a CASE, but you could LEFT JOIN each of the possible tables and return the one where `name` IS NOT NULL.  Could be performance issues with that though.

Yeah... bad idea... since you don't have to "guess" the table name, do it in php.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.