[SOLVED] what is a core file?

n8w

I took my site down for awhile because site5.com told me it was consuming lots of resources.  I saw some problems in the code, fixed it and posted it again.

However I see a 35MB core file appear.

What is this?

Is that bad?

If so what would be the cause of it?

Should I set up a crontab to delete the core file everyday?

Thanks for you input

A core file is a memory dump created when a compiled program crashes.  So yes, they're bad as in they indicate something isn't working somewhere.  I couldn't begin to predict what process on your server is creating it or tell you how to figure that out.

Hi,

A handy tip for finding out which process caused the core dump is to run the unix/linux command 'file' on it. Once you've identified the program causing the crashes, you'll have to decide what to do about it. You'd probably want to fix what is causing the core dumps instead of fixing the symptoms in the crontab. However, if you do go down that route, try setting the ulimits to 0 for the core file (run: ulimit -c 0) to prevent any core files being dumped.

Regards,

Darren.