Silly question..... but I'd still realy love an anwser.

dewey_witt

I'm not trying to say dreamweaver is a horrible program, however it is not considered to be a good scripting editor.  This mainly comes from the fact that most scripters started in notepad, any basic text editor and haven't found the use for a dreamweaver.  Dreamweaver (at least the last version I ever used) tends to not display right, and the wyswig xhtml editor does not follow or promote acid2, w3 standards.  If you use it for the built in ftp on save functions vs a copy paste on every save, there are lots of text editors out there that do it.  I guess my point is why pay for a program that isn't designed for you.  also the session_register nomenclature was  changed in 4.1 with super globals

Like i said most of the people doing scripting are old school C programmers use to command prompt ftp/notepad, that or you are taught by them and they have shared their methods.  I personally use notepad++ and if i'm on a windows machine i will use windows explorer to ftp.  I like the way it handles return lines, tabbing, color coding and so forth.  I also feel using it has made me a better xhtml,css,php programer because i have to know my stuff to do what I want vs a wyswyg.  Of course now that I got a tablet pc that might change as I saw a person in dw with a tablet do really nice layouts quickly  with the stylist.

Like i said most of the people doing scripting are old school C programmers use to command prompt ftp/notepad, that or you are taught by them and they have shared their methods.  I personally use notepad++ and if i'm on a windows machine i will use windows explorer to ftp.  I like the way it handles return lines, tabbing, color coding and so forth.  I also feel using it has made me a better xhtml,css,php programer because i have to know my stuff to do what I want vs a wyswyg.  Of course now that I got a tablet pc that might change as I saw a person in dw with a tablet do really nice layouts quickly  with the stylist.

I'd say that is a rather large assumption... One out of ten people I know that has skills in PHP also has knowledge in something like C, and almost everyone was self taught.

When I first started with PHP, I used Dreamweavers code view. It had line numbering, coloured syntax, auto-indenting and a cool auto-complete feature when starting to type function names, and it also pointed out what parameters the function expects - Saves jumping to the manual to find out which was the needle and haystack are in some functions!

In someways I wish I still used it day to day, but as far as I'm aware, there isn't a native Linux port. I still use it on my MacBook when I'm not at one of my desks though. Does anyone know of a Linux IDE for PHP that has those auto-indent and auto-complete functions? They were such a time saver...

Moral of the story? I don't think DW is just for newbs.

• 1 month later...

OK nay-sayers. For one, Im not a hippie.  Second more than likely I know more HTML than you along with XML, php, javascript, AJAX, C#, and a slew of other BS that I will never use like VB VB.net etc. So before you talk shit make sure of what your typing you moron. And btw of course I use code view..... what decent developer don't? Every great once in a while I use the split view and about 20% of the time Im not using Dreamweaver at all. Im using edit pad light. But anyway. As to know why i was asking this question, I was working on a cients pre existing site..... outdated and in need of a good once over when i realized that Weaver didnt recognize some functions. So gather your beans google a good responce and remember.... stop kissing your dad freak. Wash that with soap. ;)http://BlueSky.justgotowned.com BTW say hi to your sister for me. (and tell her I want my boxers back.)

I run Zend in linux it has most of the features you mention.

I'd say that is a rather large assumption... One out of ten people I know that has skills in PHP also has knowledge in something like C, and almost everyone was self taught.

When I first started with PHP, I used Dreamweavers code view. It had line numbering, coloured syntax, auto-indenting and a cool auto-complete feature when starting to type function names, and it also pointed out what parameters the function expects - Saves jumping to the manual to find out which was the needle and haystack are in some functions!

In someways I wish I still used it day to day, but as far as I'm aware, there isn't a native Linux port. I still use it on my MacBook when I'm not at one of my desks though. Does anyone know of a Linux IDE for PHP that has those auto-indent and auto-complete functions? They were such a time saver...

Moral of the story? I don't think DW is just for newbs.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.