chmod question

corillo181

As you've shown, yes. However I assume you'd like more security so that whilst it's being read no-one else can read it. Either use php to read the file and serve it up to them that way. Or use their session id and end time to generate a temporary filename and save a copy with certain permissions, in the header of the file have some code which use's '__FILE__' to check it's own name and therefore can check sess_id and timeout, and if necessary deny and ... hmmm delete itself (i'll have to try that one, think it should be possible!).

Also it might be wise to set a cron page which trawls the tempoary directory for such files and deletes when too old...

You might want to try an if (chmod()) to see if it does anything at all. Also:

Note: The current user is the user under which PHP runs. It is probably not the same user you use for normal shell or FTP access. The mode can be changed only by user who owns the file on most systems.

Note: This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the servers filesystem.

Note: When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories you are about to operate on have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. In addition, you cannot set the SUID, SGID and sticky bits.

i tried a if statment like this one

if(chmod(/path/musicfile.mp3,0777)){
  echo '<embed src="/path/musicfile.mp3"></embed>';
}
if(chmod(/path/musicfile.mp3,0777)){
  chmod(/path/musicfile.mp3,0600);
}

th only way this works is if i remove the second if. i thought php runs in a updown order which means what ever is on top will execute first and them the rest.

so the first if should execute the song and the second if should turn it back to a 600.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.