PHP file location

summamail

Hi,

I am learning PHP, I just got apache server got up and running in my AMD64 RHEL4 machine. I am wondering why I should create my PHP file under /var/www/html/ ?. For that I have to be a super user (root).

I want to create pages in user account, that can be viewed by browser. Can any one guide me how to make browser to read my PHP file kept under my user account?.

Thanks

Summa

This is more a Linux question than that of php. You need to make a group which is allowed to create files within /var/www/html. As an example I will use the group www. As root, make /var/www/html be owned by root:www

$ groupadd www
$ chown -R root:www

Next you need to add your username to this same group. Again, as root issue...

$ usermod -G www yourusername

Note: If you allready are the member of suplimentary groups you will need to put them is a comma seperated string after the -G option as well. eg;

$ usermod -G wheel,cdrom,audio,www yourusername

Once this is all done you will be able to write to the /var/www/html directory when logged in to yourusername account.

This is more a Linux question than that of php. You need to make a group which is allowed to create files within /var/www/html. As an example I will use the group www. As root, make /var/www/html be owned by root:www

$ groupadd www
$ chown -R root:www

Next you need to add your username to this same group. Again, as root issue...

$ usermod -G www yourusername

Note: If you allready are the member of suplimentary groups you will need to put them is a comma seperated string after the -G option as well. eg;

$ usermod -G wheel,cdrom,audio,www yourusername

# gpasswd -a username groupname

I always hated typing out all of the group names when I had to add a user to a group.

And to publish files in your home directory, you can create a directory ~/public_html, define USERDIR (-D USERDIR) in the startup options in your apache conf file (/etc/conf.d/httpd, maybe). Just make sure that directory is readable by the apache user.

You could create a symbolic link in /var/www/html/ that points to the directory in which you will have your web files. In other words, create a symbolic link using the command "ln" that points to your directory /home/user_name/web. Please take note that the directory "web" is where you will keep all your web files. It is as simple as that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.