Do you copyright your web sites?

carlg

i haven't for any of mine but then again i haven't done any main stream public sites..

i think a simple way of copywriting a things is to print off every view as well as code/outputted site and post it to yourself recorded delivery in a sealed envolope. This is a very lowtech way and i haven't dealt with actually copyrighting a site.

found this thought if your in the UK

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/protect/p11_web_design_copyright

remember we aint gonna get no post till wednesday earliest because of bloody strikes! lol

EDIT:

Just read *a bit* of the site myself and postal copyrights is a propper way!

Liam

TBH it's hard top steal PHP coding really as it's server side and for them to get the code they would have to have some other access apart from web access.

So just go under the automatic rules, copyright pictures and you should be fine.

Liam

On one of my sites I use © copyright 2007 rights reserved, as I allow people to use them.

http://freehelpings.com/freephotos  I am setting it up so webmasters can get pics to build sites, but I need to disclaimer the "rights reserved" part. The rights I am keeping are the distribution, so to offer my pics for free to others is against the copyright. To sell them is against the copyright.

But use them, you are OK and covered legally.

I have been to many sites where the sites are a compilation of other "public domain" or presumed public domain photos. Suppose you build a nice site using those pics, and then the photographer finds it on your page, now you have to redo everything upon the request of removal.

But face it. If it is published on the web and desireable content, it will be stolen, shared, promoted etc. Keep that in mind before you post it.

Copyright law in the US is such that if you publish with the © it is automatically copy protected.

There is quite alot to the laws actually, but the rule of thumb, don't lay a $100 bill on a table in the general public and expect it to stay there. Law or no law, it will dissapear and it will cost you more to find it than to move on.

And one thing about copyright, if you find an infraction and do nothing because you can't afford to go after them, after a period of time you give up your rights by implied consent.

Putting a copyright on the bottom of the page

© Yourname 2007+

Is enough to show it's copyrighted. Your copyright is automatic (for your life + 75 years in most countries)

Or just add a small Javascript to insert the current year each time.

No need. The year just shows what year you copyrighted it in. It's not required

© Yourname would be enough. And copyright doesnt expire. The year is usually just to show when you made the picture/scripts/etc

Here's Australian Copyright Law and Info, the info provided below pretty much sums up what copyright is and can be used for and why it is used:

Australian law recognises that individuals have the right to protect the moral and economic interests arising from their creative works. Copyright is a form of intellectual property that protects a variety of literary, artistic, musical and dramatic endeavours as well as other things such as sound recordings and films. It is not ideas but their expression that are protected by copyright law.

In Australia, copyright law is contained in the Copyright Act 1968 (the Act), and in court decisions that have interpreted the provisions of the Act. The Act is amended from time to time to keep the law up to date.

The law gives owners of copyright exclusive rights to do certain things with their material. Copyright is intended to protect creative works from being used without the agreement of the owner and to provide an incentive for creators to continue to create new material.

Copyright is a type of property that can be traded just like other types of property, such as real estate. However, it is different from tangible property in that it can be copied or otherwise used easily without the knowledge of the owner.

Regards ACE

Putting a copyright on the bottom of the page

© Yourname 2007+

Is enough to show it's copyrighted. Your copyright is automatic (for your life + 75 years in most countries)

Or just add a small Javascript to insert the current year each time.

or php

Copyright © <?php echo (date("Y")); ?>

How is PHP invisible just because it's server side? When a user types in "http://www.yoursite.com/yourdocument.php", they can view the entire source code -- right?

Maybe I misunderstood.

Make a .php document and type <?php $variable = 'string'; ?> then upload it and go to the page and view the source, do you see what you typed? No you don't. :P

You see the HTML source, sure... but that's different.

And on topic, I sometimes copyright my sites depending on what the site is...

You can't "sometimes" copyright your works.  As has been stated, copyright is implied and automatic on original works produced by you (or by purchasing the rights from another person... but commercial exploitation is beyond the scope of this thread).

You don't have to do anything to copyright your stuff... but you can take steps to make it known that the works are copyright to the public... registrars, copyright logo, disclaimers, policies etc.  At the end of the day, however, the onus is still on you to prove that you produced the works and registrars etc have no legal standing in a court of law.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.