[SOLVED] This string will not pass through mysql.... I don't know why....

bobleny

I'm not entirely sure why this string is a problem, but I think it has something to do with the "#" symbols, but that makes no since to me because I don't remember them ever being a problem before....

This is my error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 's deleted. Wah Lah easy as that! Next thing I am going to work out is' at line 1

This is the string I am trying to pass:

Sorry about the wait, but trust me when I say it will be worth it! \"It will be worth it!\" I have a lot planned for the site! I need to fix some of the looks then start on the forum.

For now though, this is what I have done. First, I changed the error reporting system so that anytime there is an error, caused by anyone, I will get a message sent to my inbox! That way, from now on, I will know where the error is and I will be able to fix it right a way!

The next thing I worked on was the mail system. I found it hard to receive the errors when they had no where to be sent to... So I mailed a mail system, which will be used for the forum. I then wanted to be able to delete my messages in my inbox, so that was next.

I then took a little side step and played with some JavaScript and AJAX. You will always know when you get mail, thanks to a little AJAX script I wrote... I also made it easier to delete your messages with a JavaScript confirmation box. If you decide you want to delete it, click on \"Delete\" and a box will pop up, click OK, and it\'s deleted. Wah Lah easy as that!

Next thing I am going to work out is the edit feature, and then I need to do a bit more with the add feature...

Oh, and the updates will come more frequent as it is easier to edit the site now!

This is how I am trying to pass it, where $text is the string in question:

$str = "INSERT INTO `home` (`declare`, `time`, `text`) VALUES ('" . $_POST['declare'] . "', '" . date('l, F jS\, Y') . "', '" . $text . "')";
$query = mysql_query($str);

And this is $str echoed:

INSERT INTO `home` (`declare`, `time`, `text`) VALUES ('Update:', 'Saturday, October 6th, 2007', 'Sorry about the wait, but trust me when I say it will be worth it! \"It will be worth it!\" I have a lot planned for the site! I need to fix some of the looks then start on the forum.

For now though, this is what I have done. First, I changed the error reporting system so that anytime there is an error, caused by anyone, I will get a message sent to my inbox! That way, from now on, I will know where the error is and I will be able to fix it right a way!

The next thing I worked on was the mail system. I found it hard to receive the errors when they had no where to be sent to... So I mailed a mail system, which will be used for the forum. I then wanted to be able to delete my messages in my inbox, so that was next.

I then took a little side step and played with some JavaScript and AJAX. You will always know when you get mail, thanks to a little AJAX script I wrote... I also made it easier to delete your messages with a JavaScript confirmation box. If you decide you want to delete it, click on \"Delete\" and a box will pop up, click OK, and it\'s deleted. Wah Lah easy as that!

Next thing I am going to work out is the edit feature, and then I need to do a bit more with the add feature...

Oh, and the updates will come more frequent as it is easier to edit the site now!')

So, I need some help with this.... I just don't get why the string is causing an error....

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.