changing radio buttons in PHP

chwebdesigns

I have this code, which I have got off the internet. What I want to do is instead of having the radio buttons, is to have a drop down menu. I have made it but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Here is part of the code for the radio buttons:

echo '<label for="rate5_'.$rater_id.'"><input type="radio" value="5" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate5_'.$rater_id.'" />Excellent</label>';
echo '<label for="rate4_'.$rater_id.'"><input type="radio" value="4" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate4_'.$rater_id.'" />Very Good</label>';
echo '<label for="rate3_'.$rater_id.'"><input type="radio" value="3" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate3_'.$rater_id.'" />Good</label>';
echo '<label for="rate2_'.$rater_id.'"><input type="radio" value="2" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate2_'.$rater_id.'" />Fair</label>';
echo '<label for="rate1_'.$rater_id.'"><input type="radio" value="1" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate1_'.$rater_id.'" />Poor</label>';

And I changed it to this for use with a drop down menU:

echo '<select name="select">
            <label for="rate5_'.$rater_id.'"><option value="5" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate5_'.$rater_id.'">Excellent</option></label>
            <label for="rate4_'.$rater_id.'"><option value="4" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate4_'.$rater_id.'">Very Good</option></label>
           <label for="rate3_'.$rater_id.'"><option value="3" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate3_'.$rater_id.'">Good</option></label>
            <label for="rate2_'.$rater_id.'"><option value="2" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate2_'.$rater_id.'">Fair</option></label>
            <label for="rate1_'.$rater_id.'"><option value="1" name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]" id="rate1_'.$rater_id.'">Poor</option></label>
          </select>';

Something is not working, and unfortunately I can't see what

thanks

You should not have those label tags there. In addition, the name goes to the <select> tag and not the <option> tags (and you probably don't need the IDs either, since you don't have the labels). This might work slightly better:

echo '<select name="rating_'.$rater_id.'[]">
<option value="5">Excellent</option>
<option value="4">Very Good</option>
<option value="3">Good</option>
<option value="2">Fair</option>
<option value="1">Poor</option>
</select>'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.