tough query

ToonMariner

Hi guys n gals - a tuff query I am struggling with...

I have a table of media (video and audio) these play in a flash player.  The videos are fine but the audio have images associated with them...

What i need is to select media from this database and when the record is an audio file select an image to go with it.

the record has a field `imgs` which contains a , delimted string of numbers - these represent the id of an image in another table.

I just want to select a random image from that string of ids or just the 1st id in the string and i'd LOVE to do it in one query!

[pre]

media table

med_id ... type      imgs

1            audio    1,2,4,5

2            video

3            video

4            audio    7,8,9

images table

img_id    path

1          /pics/abc.gif

2          /pics/def.jpg

3          /pics/ghi.gif

[/pre]

Hope I have explained enough for you to understand - if not tell me off and I'll try again...

I guess it depends on how you have every thing set up. If you have a set amount of images (img1 - img7) and the audio records relate and reuse the images. Like audio1 uses img1, img3, and img4 and audio2 uses img2, img5, and img1 then I would create another table that holds that relation between the two tables.

I guess it depends on how you have every thing set up. If you have a set amount of images (img1 - img7) and the audio records relate and reuse the images. Like audio1 uses img1, img3, and img4 and audio2 uses img2, img5, and img1 then I would create another table that holds that relation between the two tables.

Doesn't matter how it's set up -- always use a many-to-many table for stuff like this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.