[SOLVED] incredibly lost

Jago6060

I'm very new to linux.  I have a project that I'm working on and I'm not entirely sure where to start.  Here is my task.

"Using Apache, install a secure (encrypted) using ** Apache's (passworded) WWW server that will only allow Tom and Harry with a password of test to access documents on the server. (Any OS). I suggest open SSL....

** PHP or other password scripts are NOT acceptable."

I'm doing this on Slackware 11.  I also have Slax Server if anyone thinks it would be easier to do this task on there.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes,  I'm actually starting on linux, slackware is the only distro I've used thus far.  I can do basic things like OS setup, partitioning, and I've done packet forwarding in the past but thats about it. I had looked on www.apache.org but I wasn't entirely sure what I needed to be looking for.

I think "slapt" is the package manager for slackware.

Is apache on the server?

If not -> slapt-get install apache2

To get apache with ssl, you'll have to do something like:

slapt-get install libssl

Is htpasswd installed/working? Apache may need to be installed for this tool to be available.

-steve

thank you so much for that tutorial, it's the best one I've seen.  My next question is how do I go about testing and making sure this works?

I put my .htaccess file in my /var/www folder to protect those files and it's sub-directories, and I have my .htpasswd file in /usr/local.

I don't get any popup when I browse with any of the computer's users.  I don't know if it makes a difference but I restarted httpd just in case that was hindering anything.  .htaccess and .htpasswd do not need to be in any specific directory right?  .htaccess just needs to be in the file it's going to protect?

here is the contents of my .htaccess file

AuthUserFile /usr/local/passwords/.htpasswd
AuthType Basic
AuthName Protected
Require valid-user

I have 2 users, Tom and Harry, who are supposed to be the only ones with access to the files is the /var/www folder

That goes in the main configuration file (unless it can actually affect .htaccess files in subdirectories--I'm not sure). All is the default, so if you don't have a line limiting the overrides, you don't need it. Double check all your Directory directives to see if they have an AllowOverride line.

I have a section in my httpd.conf file that looks like this...

<Directory>
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
</Directory>

and there is also just a single line within a <Directory> block that says

AllowOverride None

do I change both?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.