Looking to create a web host will SUSE 10 server do the job?

AnthonyArde

OpenSuse is well adapted to the server role.

I have used it with great success and little problem.  I Prefer Fedora, but it's just personal preference I suppose. 

I even more thing OpenSUSE is a good choice if you are new to setting up a server under Linux... it GUI is one of the best out there. 

Osprey

www.tranquilpenguin.com

Servers should not have a gui, period. It just opens up more security wholes. The less software on a server the better.

Chances are if your looking for an easy distribution to run a web host on then you are not ready to run a web host. Sorry, but its not just a straight forward task. When you have clients relying on uptime, your best to know what you are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Servers should not have a gui, period. It just opens up more security wholes. The less software on a server the better.

Chances are if your looking for an easy distribution to run a web host on then you are not ready to run a web host. Sorry, but its not just a straight forward task. When you have clients relying on uptime, your best to know what you are doing.

I just can't agree with you... Linux GUI's take into account security, which is why we use Linux to begin with.  There are some functions that are made easier and save labor as a result.  That depends on what you are doing, but I may have lost sight of the original question.  If you are selling webspace and no more, I agree with you.  If you are managing multiple websites in conjunctions with other services (as I do) then I disagree.  I host a dozen websites, offer some VoIP services, a Gameserver, and anything else that makes my customers happy.  I cater to a local population.  Again, I may have lost the original question. 

I DO however disagree with the notion that if you can't do commandline you can't do linux.  I view it as a major reason why it still struggles for acceptance outside the server farm.  I cut my teeth on DOS 2.3 and Novel.  I still uses DOS when I work, so I simply had to learn bash and it's all kinda the same to me. The new kids have never heard of Novel, and didn't know what one did before Windows 2000 server.  I think it's valid to use a GUI to get them productive. 

One last thought: Without a GUI Linux is of no use to the end user.  Until we get the end user to use it for it's desktop, we will have to write purely arbitrary, standardless code to make websites work on IE7, et. al.  W3C is nice, but I have several sites that pass W3C clean as a whistle and are a garbled mess on IE7.  Until M$ feels ANY competition from the end user (as in GUI Desktop for Linux) we will have wonderful servers that have no real standard.  The problem is much deeper, but I won't go on.

Bottom Line:

Use the GUI, that's what it's for, but dont' forget to do your homework.  The GUI only does a fraction of what the tiger under the hood can do.

• 1 month later...

SUSE is really geared more toward personal use.

I personally use Debian and also CentOS(it's the free version of RHEL).

Hmm not really. SuSE is by far the leading enterprise distro and is growing much faster than any other distro in the enterprise arena. I just left a 4-year stint at Oracle where I can list out a laundry list of crap that was problematic in Red Hat and not SuSE. I started using Linux at kernel 0.97 and once I started using SuSE about 7 years ago I've never looked back. Now that Novell owns them they have the corporate backing and support that was holding it back for so long.

The problem is the average linux user hardly ever gets to see the OS under a true enterprise workload. Throw a couple hundred EMC lun's at it, then put the kernel to work......

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.