programming practices

ignace

Which are considered to be the best programming practices? for example i prefer to not store sessions into files (as done by default by php), but in a database as this gives me the possibility to use the same session on multiple servers, this is possible because of the session_set_save_handler() function! So which do you use (non-oop)?

To enlarge the topic a bit: which threads are all out there and how do you solve them (e.g.: cross site scripting)?

Never let anyone rub there practices off on you.  Listen to multiple view points and do what you think is best.

I PERSONALLY find

MVC a good pattern

OOP a good programming standard.

I also like to avoid ternary operator,  and shorthand all together.

I keep other basic rules in mind for myself when programming php

1. Always use full open tags <?php and avoid short tags and/or asp style tags.

2. always make code clean and neat.

3. Always comment code well.

As far as sessions specifically I advise you to use php's basic built in session handling until you are very advanced because there can be a lot of security issues with custom session handling if you are not in full control of what you are doing.

Me personally, those were all based on opinion.

I stick to all of those when I program.  It is especially helpful to me when I am working with

other developers and I know someone else is goign to look throug my code.  As for comments it'll help

you later when you come back to your code and need to make changes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.