[SOLVED] network printing

AV1611

I hate printers

I have an HP that works great with linux.

I have two public IP's.

Computer A has the HP on it.  It prints fine

I went to computer B and told it to look for a tcp printer on the IP for computer A and if found it. 

I printed from computer B and it "seemed" to work, but the printer on computer A never printed it.

Um, What am I missing???

Are you using CUPS? If not, you should be. :) CUPS has always worked for me right off the bat, with a little trial-and-error with the print drivers. It's just a matter of enabling printer sharing on the computer it's connected to, and enabling the use of shared printers on the other computers.

Are you using CUPS? If not, you should be. :) CUPS has always worked for me right off the bat, with a little trial-and-error with the print drivers. It's just a matter of enabling printer sharing on the computer it's connected to, and enabling the use of shared printers on the other computers.

Yea, but I hoped to do it the other way... I guess I'll do CUPS instead.

Thanks for always being there Ney...

Yea, but I hoped to do it the other way... I guess I'll do CUPS instead.

Thanks for always being there Ney...

While I don't share your hesitation to use CUPS, I can accept it - but I think I can safely assure you that within time, you'll be completely comfortable with CUPS. The internet administration tool (http://hostname:631) is awesome, and once you get the printer sharing set up, it's just a matter of checking a box in the CUPS admin on the client-side to get it to pick up the printers.

I'll give you the links to my CUPS configuration files - There's nothing host-specific at all, so you should be able to just copy and paste.

Client configuration

"Server" configuration

One thing that may be of importance: For CUPS to automatically see printers attached to other machines, you need TCP port 631 open on the clients, and probably on the server. I would test the server-side for you, but I seem to have just locked myself out of it with some rather stupid iptables rules. Time to hook up a monitor and a keyboard, I guess. :)

And please, just call me Neal - shortened versions of my username look even sillier to me than my username. :)

Your config was the same as mine.

I had to make this slight change, now it prints across the internet. I understand the security implications, it's just for my convenience.

<Location />

# Allow shared printing...

Order allow,deny

#Allow @LOCAL

Allow from All

</Location>

Thanks again, Neal.

BTW, now that Lampgeekz is gone (I was a mod and didn't even know it was shut down :( ) I started a new NOOB forum for Linux stuff.  It's evolving, but I'll make you a mod no sweat.

http://tranquilpenguin.com

Thanks again!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.