age of consent

kellz

Let me tell you a little story here

Alright their was this guy right.. Working a job up on a tower.. it was dangerous 2 people fell to their deaths but he was getting paid $30 an hour so he didn't care.

Anyways Saturday came around and he went to a party, Anyway he and this girl meet.. I mean she was Hot, he was enjoying her company and im sure she was enjoying his.. anyways after some time they decide to get a hotel.. he ask her to see her license to make sure she 18.. and she shows him and he shows her.. anyway they stated to go an the girl ask to get some beer.. but he was only 18 but the girl said dont worry about it the lady who works at the gas station knows me and she gives it to me all the time.. So they got the beer and went to the hotel.. spend the night did what they did.. the next day he was arrested.. got out on bail.. Asked the laywer what kind of trouble he was in Said he was in for rape.

The girl was only 14 with a fake id.. He could get life in jail times 2...

Just a little story i wanted to share.. not sure if its related

I guess he was expected to be some ID expert?

And she was set free to do it again? great, the law makes everything better, doesn't it?

The girl was only 14 with a fake id.. He could get life in jail times 2...

Umm... where exactly was this supposed to have taken place? Even statutory rape isn't a life penalty, much less double. While the story is disturbing and shows exactly the kind of immaturity the laws are trying to avoid, it's somewhat unbelievable.

Kellz, I know from experience that a lot of girls I know who waited till they were in their 20's feel a lot better about themselves then girls who were at it when they were 14 to 18.

The age of consent is there for a legal reason, its there to protect children, as that's what you are under that legal age no matter how adult you really are. Just because you consent does not mean you are in the eyes of the law responsible should something go wrong.

Take for example the worst case scenario,

You get pregnant, your boyfriend leaves you (or dies), your parents cannot support you and/or your child?

How will you provide for your baby? You are not legally allowed to work so you cannot earn a wage and even if you were old enough you need a considerable amount to raise a child and not even people in their late 20's can usually afford that.

I have known people in your situation, take for example my friend Emma, she was in a relationship for 5 years, moved in with her boyfriend at 16 and at age 17 she fell pregnant.

Now she said exactly the same as you about her boyfriend at the time "we are in love we will never be seperated" however things change in a relationship when something as monumentus as a child comes into play. Anyway they grew apart, they eventually split up, she had to move out the flat,she could not go home and she had to give her child to her aunt to look after whilst she worked 12 hour shifts each day in a factory.

Its now 12 years later and she has only just managed to get a rented house, and Abby (her daughter) is still having to stay round her aunts until the evenings after school because her mother isn't at home during the day to look after her.

Now as perfect as your situation is, throw in an extra few things, your boyfriend is arrested and jailed for rape added to the sex offenders register and your child is born with some sort of disability?

Dropping the age of consent doesn't help you either, lets say they did drop it to 14? Your on a park at night, you have been drinking (I know it happens I've been there meself ;) ) some man leads you off somewhere and rapes you, then when they are arrested they insist it was consensual sex and there is no real evidence against it?

What do you do then? And what if you fall pregnant then?

The law at least protects you to some degree, trust me don't throw your "honor" away so young.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.