"min-height" not work in IE6? Is there a workaround?

ShootingBlanks

I made the background (body) of a page black.  Then I have a div that's 500px wide with a white background and a margin of "auto" and a padding of "0".  I want it to appear that there's "black bars" on either side of the page, but sometimes there's not a lot of content in that white div, so it doesn't stretch at least to the bottom of the page...

...To compensate, I added a "min-height" of 600px to the white div.  This worked fine in FireFox and IE7, but in IE6, it still doesn't work.  The "black bars" (or, the page's background) only goes down as far as the white div spans (which in some cases is only halfway down the page).  Is there a workaround for this?  Why doesn't "min-height" work in IE6?  Thanks!

IE doesn't recognize any of the min-* or max-* CSS attributes. In order to get a min-height working, try something like this:

HTML code:

<div id="wrapper-div">
  <div class="spacer-div"></div>
  <div class="spacer-clear"></div>
</div>

CSS:

#wrapper-div {
  border: 1px solid #000000;
  background-color: #f4f4f4;
}

.spacer-div {
  float: right;
  height: 400px;
  width: 1px;
}

.spacer-clear {
  clear: right;
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.