With PHP, can you check user's harddrive for certain files?

ndondo

This is the scenario that I have

I have a website

it is username and password protected.

What I would like to do is

if a computer goes to my website. I want to check if the computer has ndondo.txt (for example) in C:\ndondo\ndondo.txt folder

if it exist, I would like to grant login to the user without having to enter username and password

can I get recommendation on how to implement this

I have customers and I am creating a support website (PHP based website) for them

now I need to have username and password, so that only my customer can see this website

but I don't want to add more problem for my customer to login everytime they would like to use the support website...

any suggestion would be great

I just told you.. I do it for my site this way it saves for 30 days.

$cookieinfo = serialize(array('user_id' => $row['id'], 'accesskey' => $key));

Something like that and save $cookieinfo as value. YOu get there "Access Key" AND userID If both are valid on account allow them to use that ifno.

Well you have to set the cookie someway, and logging in for the first time would be a good one.

And yes, if the delete the cookie, then it has to be set again.

I am not very clear on one area ...

with cookie , isn't user must login for the very first time?

and if the cookie gets deleted, it may require them to login again?

Sorry if I ask stupid question..

Thanks again for all the replies guys

Thanks,

One more question. To login for the very first time is there a way to logging in using some script? meaning I have the username and password and I want to automate the logging in process

Any advice?

Well you have to set the cookie someway, and logging in for the first time would be a good one.

And yes, if the delete the cookie, then it has to be set again.

I am not very clear on one area ...

with cookie , isn't user must login for the very first time?

and if the cookie gets deleted, it may require them to login again?

Sorry if I ask stupid question..

Thanks again for all the replies guys

Automating a login would allow ANYONE seated at that computer to utilize the authorization. This includes public computers (librarys, internet cafes, etc.). If you use a cookie, set a timer in it that can expire. You really don't want to do what you're asking, without appropriate restrictions, otherwise as Thorpe points out, why require a login to begin with?

PhREEEk

• 2 weeks later...

the reason is because

we have a Visual basic program that will only be on the customer's computer and not in library or school computer

we would like to limit this website to the public view, to eliminate the ideas that we have in our visual basic program to our competitor

is there other ways beside cookies?

how bout a script that will fetch the user and password to the PHP website? is that possible?

• 2 months later...

I don't want the user to have an extra login and password

because we have login and password in place already for starting a VB program...

I just need a solution so that

only user with my exe can see the website.

I really hope some one could give me a solution?

The easiest I could think of is to fetch the user and password (fixed and general login ) from the exe program to the PHP webpage...

but even that I don't know how I can do it ..

Thank you,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.