Buying memory

I've been looking around for components (I wouldn't be the nerd that I am if I bought a pc off the shelf :P).

I've pretty much settled on most components:

Proc: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.44 MHz

HDD: 2x WD SE 16 500GB

MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4

Graphics: Asus EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/512M

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 831

Power: Seasonic S12-Energy+550, 550W

If you're paying attention, you'll see one thing missing in that list: memory.

That's where I'm a bit uncertain. I'm a pretty heavy user: running Dreamweaver, Zend Studio, Visual Paradigm for UML, Fireworks, Outlook, Firefox (eating memory the little fox), and MS Word all at once eats memory like you can imagine. I also want to try VMWare to run Linux on Windows.

So I want plenty of memory. Hence my original choice for 4GB of OCZ PC2-6400 (800MHz). It comes in two strips of 2GB, leaving me the room to upgrade to 8GB should I want to in the future. It overclocks to about about 900MHz if I recall correcty, and comes at the very reasonable price of only E135.-. But there's already memory running at 1333Mhz... :(

The bottom line is that I'm a bit torn between 4GB at 800MHz, and 2GB at 1066MHz. There's another catch though: they don't make 2GB strips of 1066MHz currently, so if I choose 2GB 1066MHz memory now, with the intention to expand when the price drops a little, I'll never make the 8GB mark.

Thoughts?

It looks like you're picking out some pretty hefty parts there.  I have a couple thoughts on your other components before I give any input on the memory.

I'm not sure if this is the same exact PSU you have listed above, but $130 for a PSU is pretty pricey IMO.  I've never used SeaSonic, or heard of them until now, so unless you have a hard-on for the brand I would maybe look into an Antec or an OCZ.  Traditionally I've used Antec and I've only ever had one die on me out of the probably 10 I've purchased.  I currently use one from OCZ due to good reviews at the time I built my system.  I'm not sure if either of these are it exactly, but:

$75 500W OCZ - I'd check reviews before thinking about a purchase though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012

$90 600W OCZ - Looks like some people received defective units and rated it poorly, but an OCZ rep took the time to reply to those reviews and stated that they did have a manufacturing problem and some faulty units slipped through and they will gladly replace them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

As for cases, I always go Antec.  Now I couldn't find your exact case on newegg, but I saw the 830 for like $180.  Again, if you're set on the brand, more power to you.  But here is an Antec case I picked up in Frys, it was love at first site when I saw it.

$140 Antec If you check out the pics, the PSU rests on the bottom and overall I think it's internal design is awesome, in addition to looking slick when closed.  If you decide to go with it, I'll warn you in advance, the fan at the bottom with a PSU with lots of wires (like OCZ) is a very tight fight.  I had a bit of trouble getting mine in, only to discover that I should have put it in from the other side instead (due to wire issues) and then it was a bitch to get out.  Apparently the fan can be placed on the opposite side though; and it does have a nice cushioned mounting area for the PSU so its very quiet.  The biggest bonus to the case is I can barely hear it.  If that coolermaster 831 has as many side fans as the 830, you're gonna get a bit of noise (as well as a dusty case).  There also seems to be a $40 rebate for the antec, but I never count on those as givens.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

As for the memory, your CPU only supports 1066MHz while your mobo supports 1333/1066.  I would say skip the 800Mhz memory, even if you can overclock it.  Overclocking results can vary greatly so you shouldn't count on it, plus you mentioned it can overclock to only 900Mhz which is still below what your system can handle.  I would say go with 2 x1GB sticks of DDR2 1066 from either ocz, g.skill, or patriot.  ocz and g.skill tie for first, patriot comes in second.  With a quad-core and 2GB of memory your system should be pretty zippy.  Also, you can pick up the 2 x1GB sticks pretty cheaply, in the $100-$150 range; then you pick up some more memory down the road when it comes down in price.  Or just buy 4 sticks if you really want to spend the beans.

I know more memory is tempting, but I don't know if the extra 2GB is going to make up for bottle-necking the entire system on the FSB, in addition to the hassle of overclocking.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks for replying.  :)

It looks like you're picking out some pretty hefty parts there. 

I buy a new computer only every 4 years (with only minor upgrades occasionally). I'm looking for parts that'll last, can keep up for that amount of time.

I'm not sure if this is the same exact PSU you have listed above, but $130 for a PSU is pretty pricey IMO. 

I'm buying it for ~E115.-, so yeah, that's about $130-$140. I currently own a Cooler Master Real Power 450W. One of the reasons I bought it is because it was supposedly silent (that and relatively cheap, about E50.-). I reckon this PSU will make it through the next gen, 8 years, so really it's not that expensive.

I've never used SeaSonic, or heard of them until now, so unless you have a hard-on for the brand I would maybe look into an Antec or an OCZ.  Traditionally I've used Antec and I've only ever had one die on me out of the probably 10 I've purchased.  I currently use one from OCZ due to good reviews at the time I built my system.  I'm not sure if either of these are it exactly, but:

$75 500W OCZ - I'd check reviews before thinking about a purchase though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012

$90 600W OCZ - Looks like some people received defective units and rated it poorly, but an OCZ rep took the time to reply to those reviews and stated that they did have a manufacturing problem and some faulty units slipped through and they will gladly replace them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

Noise is a key issue for me.

From http://www.silentpcreview.com/article656-page5.html

Acoustically, the Energy Plus has surpassed our expectations of what is possible from a quiet power supply and set a new standard. With a fan that doesn't begin to increase in speed until 250W output, it will take a concerted effort to force the Energy Plus to become noisy — a nice change from the need to put effort into preventing added noise.

While Seasonic does have a name for silent, high quality PSUs, it's not the brand name that attracts me to it, it's this review.

As for cases, I always go Antec.  Now I couldn't find your exact case on newegg, but I saw the 830 for like $180.  Again, if you're set on the brand, more power to you.  But here is an Antec case I picked up in Frys, it was love at first site when I saw it.

$140 Antec If you check out the pics, the PSU rests on the bottom and overall I think it's internal design is awesome, in addition to looking slick when closed.  If you decide to go with it, I'll warn you in advance, the fan at the bottom with a PSU with lots of wires (like OCZ) is a very tight fight.  I had a bit of trouble getting mine in, only to discover that I should have put it in from the other side instead (due to wire issues) and then it was a bitch to get out.  Apparently the fan can be placed on the opposite side though; and it does have a nice cushioned mounting area for the PSU so its very quiet.  The biggest bonus to the case is I can barely hear it.  If that coolermaster 831 has as many side fans as the 830, you're gonna get a bit of noise (as well as a dusty case).  There also seems to be a $40 rebate for the antec, but I never count on those as givens.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

Again, the brand name isn't that important to me. Although I do currently own a Cooler Master WaveMaster, and am totally in love with the build quality and looks.

My main motivations for buying this case are space and installation. The top vent means I don't have to take out my dremel to fit my top radiator (I noticed the Antec has that too). Aesthetics count for a little too. It's not by far as appealing as my WaveMaster (god I love that case), but it has more space, something the WaveMaster really lacks.

As for the fans, the Cooler Master fans that come with this case are never going to be used. I only use Noisetaker fans, and in addition I own a T-balancer fancontroller which is able to run fans at voltages that they normally wouldn't. You won't find more than 3 fans in my system, one for each radiator.

The Antec is pretty appealing too, in a sober kind of way, but I sort of have thing for aluminum. Brushed aluminum and steel are a turn on for me. I know, I'm disturbed.. :P

As for the memory, your CPU only supports 1066MHz while your mobo supports 1333/1066.  I would say skip the 800Mhz memory, even if you can overclock it.  Overclocking results can vary greatly so you shouldn't count on it, plus you mentioned it can overclock to only 900Mhz which is still below what your system can handle. 

I know. It's just that like I said, I tend to use a lot of mem, which is only going to get worse using VMWare and Vista (not switching to Vista immediately, but it is inevitable IMO).

I would say go with 2 x1GB sticks of DDR2 1066 from either ocz, g.skill, or patriot.  ocz and g.skill tie for first, patriot comes in second.  With a quad-core and 2GB of memory your system should be pretty zippy.  Also, you can pick up the 2 x1GB sticks pretty cheaply, in the $100-$150 range; then you pick up some more memory down the road when it comes down in price.  Or just buy 4 sticks if you really want to spend the beans.

In 3 years, will 4GB be enough for a demanding power user like myself, that's the question. Btw, I don't buy brands, I buy memory. If it's not reviewed and passed with flying colours, I'm not buying it.

I know more memory is tempting, but I don't know if the extra 2GB is going to make up for bottle-necking the entire system on the FSB, in addition to the hassle of overclocking.

Overclocking is no hassle at all. I never really push my system though. I usually just push out an extra 10 to 20%. Btw, if I run out of physical memory, the HDD is going to be the bottleneck, not the FSB.

Hope that helps some.

Actually, it does. The hunt is on for 2GB of proper PC3-8500. Hopefully the price will drop before I feel (notice) I need more.

Ok, I think I'm set on some Crucial PC2-8500. They seem to perform very nicely (Crucial is the retail branch of Micron, who's chips are in all the high-end strips today -- or so I've read).

I'm now rethinking my choice of chassis. I think I was really looking for a bigger version of my beloved WaveMaster. I'm not really happy with the Stacker 831, I think it's a little bit too flashy.

I'm now considering this Silverstone TJ09 case:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=tj09&area=usa

Pretty, aint it?

At E210.- it's about E35.- more expensive, not a biggie since I'm already spending big (for me, that is).

The TJ07 is even prettier (the rounded front is simply HOT :P), and has a layout perfectly suited for watercooling, but has a hefty pricetag of E290.- Ouch.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_photo.php?pno=tj07&area=usa

Btw, I don't buy brands, I buy memory.

There's a few brands over the years that have won my loyalty through either customer service and / or quality of parts.  I don't necessarily rush out and buy a piece of hardware simply because its from XYZ manufacturer, except for certain components.  I know enough about computers to piece one together but before I put any system for myself together I do my homework like you did.  That's the reason why I have an OCZ PSU instead of Antec that I'd always bought in the past.

I should have linked this before, but here is a great site for power users (that you may have come across already)

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

Members there constantly post all sorts of builds and it's a great place to see which hardware comes highly recommended.

I didn't know you did water-cooling; while big that antec case might be cramped for a water system.  I myself had a water-cooled system housed in a custom case built out of clear plastic for a while.  It was a beast that inspired awe from all who saw it, but eventually I decided maintaining it wasn't worth the hassle.  Fun experiment though!

I should have linked this before, but here is a great site for power users (that you may have come across already)

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

Forums are not the best source of reliable info IMO. As an outsider it isn't always obvious who's talking out of his ***, and who knows what he's talking about.

I do visit them occasionally, but mostly just to drool over plain horny rigs.

Btw, I just went for it and bought all the stuff. I eventually went with a Lian Li PC-A71A and 4x1GB Crucial BL2KIT12864AA1065 PC2-8500 (1066MHz).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.