Server-Side FFMPEG Conversion

I have a website i am working on that allows you to upload videos to it.

I use FFMPEG to convert the video to an flv, after upload, so the flash player can play it easily.

However i have a problem. i run a system command for ffmpeg using exec();. and it does work, but the page is loading for however long the conversion takes, as well as if the user closes the page, it will not fully convert.

What i want:

- once the video is uploaded, it sends a request to the server to do the conversion

- the conversion is done server-side and has nothing to do with the client-side (the user can close the browser window)

- code needs to be executed once the conversion is completed

now i have had a very hard time trying to figure this out, especially with the part where code is executed after the conversion is finished.

can anyone give me some ideas please?

You could add it to a queue and loop through it with a cron job? By queue, I mean add a reference to the file and user in a table and put together a script that loops through them running the conversion process then remove them from your queue table.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.