[SOLVED] Mysql with $userId?

Jam87

Hi all,

I'm pretty new, relatively speaking, to php and mysql and have been trying for several days now to create a mysql table for every user upon visiting a certain page. In the past i've used flatfiles so its been pretty easy to define a file with the user_id php session variable. But now i need a similar system for mysql and dont have a clue where or what to replace the variable with.

I've looked all over the web and cant seem to find any reference to creating a mysql table for each user, being named after their unique userId.

I hope i've explained this well enough, and it makes some sense :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps

Jam87

Ok, quick update, i've managed to get the databases created properly using my sites unique user Id variable, all i need to do now is read from those defined tables.

the session variable is $userId

the connect code is:

$conf['dbtable_ab']    = '$userId_book';

$conf['dbtable_cat']    = '$userId_cat';

$conf['dbtable_catmap'] = '$userId_catmap';

the above doesnt work, but i'm sure its down to my bad coding rather than limitation

thanks again :)

to create a mysql table for every user upon visiting a certain page.

Why on earth would you want a separate database for each user? You might want to find yourself some tutorials on database design. There is a link in my signiture to a free book, within that book is an entire section on working with databases in php. it might get you started. Especially the section on normalization.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.