Computer Addiction.

phpSensei

I started php when I was 13, and every since I have been addicted to the computer. I normally go on the computer for 12 hours straight for each day, going on 2 years straight. I get deppressioen, emptyness, blurry visions, and alot of other things that drives me to chaos in my brain.

I think programming is fun, and makes me really happy to help others. I have made sites that really saved people's work,time, projects, and private stuff. PHP can be fun, but if you get addicted, it is really hard to quit. I would usually come back from school just thinking about php, and how i can have all day to work on my site. I have been failing and failing my classes, and my parents are complaining that i should quit computers.

I once threw my harddrive in the dump, and the next day I was back on my computer with a new hard drive. I always find a way to come back to it. I have always wanted my own computer, but never got the chance to buy one. Now i have 3 laptops all with the latest specs, and running at amazing performance. I don't want them, but they are calling my name like "JOEY....JOEY....use me" lol.

any comments on your experience?

Look at it this way - What you're doing is clearly earning you money if you can afford a new hard drive just like that, and the fact that you have three high-spec laptops - While you're still at school.

I am making hundreds, without any real school education or career, so thats a good thing.

The addiction can still really have negative effects on your health.

Yes being online that long can have bad effects with the radiation coming off of your monitors. Just do what I do, because CRT radiation can make your skin really pale. Just go and hop into a sunbed for 12 mins a day. Thats what I do and I wont lieits the only thing preventing me from looking like a ghost. (Pale I mean). But personally speaking. There is absolutly nothing wrong with spending time on the comp as long as your doing something useful like programming because that can be turned into a job for you. Its better than some jobs out there. I would personally rather be with a partner building a program than working at a fast food place flipping burgers.

CRT radiation can make your skin really pale.

The CRT radiation being something other than standard visible light, right?

There is nothing in any kind of light that will make your body destroy melanin, the pigment responsible for the hue of your skin. While there are methods for whitening skin, they involve chemicals, lasers, or other extreme techniques, which are very often harmful. The only reason that you're seeing a correlation between exposure to CRT monitors and pale skin is the fact that you're not outside while you're in front of a CRT.

What's wrong with all of you?

Too much of anything is not good. Period.

Go outside, there is a world you are missing out on and i'm not just talking about sunlight.

I don't really know the point of this thread, I mean the majority of replies you are going to get are those who  do the same thing you are doing, and can only sympathize with you. Is that what you wanted? And the healthy answer is obvious.

This is phpfreaks forum. The people who come here are either crazy about php or crazy because of php, or both. What would have been interesting rather is if you made this a poll on those who do similar things like what you are describing.

@phpSensei

if im not mistaken i have answered your thread when you are just a noob but now I was amazed on how you answered threads  :D

I'm not addict whit computer (internet) but i should say I'm addicted to what i can learn to this technology learning has never been this easy with Internet and PC

I started php when I was 13, and every since I have been addicted to the computer. I normally go on the computer for 12 hours straight for each day, going on 2 years straight. I get deppressioen, emptyness, blurry visions, and alot of other things that drives me to chaos in my brain.

I think programming is fun, and makes me really happy to help others. I have made sites that really saved people's work,time, projects, and private stuff. PHP can be fun, but if you get addicted, it is really hard to quit. I would usually come back from school just thinking about php, and how i can have all day to work on my site. I have been failing and failing my classes, and my parents are complaining that i should quit computers.

I once threw my harddrive in the dump, and the next day I was back on my computer with a new hard drive. I always find a way to come back to it. I have always wanted my own computer, but never got the chance to buy one. Now i have 3 laptops all with the latest specs, and running at amazing performance. I don't want them, but they are calling my name like "JOEY....JOEY....use me" lol.

any comments on your experience?

it sounds to me like you need to take that hard earned cash and see a doctor. Talk to one for an hour, see what he thinks, tell him why you sit in front of the computer, and see what he recommends.  If you feel better when you come out of the office, or think it might help, schedule another visit. Also, follow his advice.  Mainly, get out and do something. I LOVE PHP, but I also rock climb. So i balance it all out :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.