How do i get rid of the Index.php?

chantown

What he means (i think) is not the directory listing. He is referring to the URL.

Currently, my URL bar shows:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=173395.0;num_replies=3

What the OP was looking for is how to hide everything after his TLD, so while the user is still navigating the page:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=post;topic=173395.0;num_replies=3

It would only look like:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/

And to answer your question. I have no idea.

Take care.

I think you should just use "Cloaking" for your domain, and it will instead of show eg. www.mydomain.com/index.php,  it will show www.mydomain.com.

But even though it is very good, but i has some bad things of using it, if you have different titles in each page, you will have just a static one for all the pages.

So good Luck, try doing what i told ya

thebadbad,

If you read the origional post and the ones after it, you would have realized, what you wrote was not what the OP was looking for. It had nothing to to with adding a hyperlink VIA HTML to his website.

I read them, thank you. After reading his second post it still seems like I was perfectly on the point? Although it's unclear if he wants /index.php to redirect to /. Let's wait for his answer :)

(i just thought that most mainstream websites dont show the index.php)

That's because they never visually link to it. Instead link to the root "/" as I suggested. Apache will default to index.php, without showing the index.php in the browser's location bar. If you want to achieve something different, please elaborate.

(i just thought that most mainstream websites dont show the index.php)

This isn't particularly true, Google, PHP Freaks, Youtube.... they do tend to hide the actual page you are on, but they dont hide the GET variables and what not after the domain name.

One of the main reasons for just showing your domain name instead of the full URL is to hide URL's that contain GET variables in them which can be bookmarked and reused later. For example, say someone made a website with a login form which uses a GET( EXTREMELY bad thing to do) and you happened to be behind someone at a internet cafe who is login into the website. They get up for a moment and ask for help at the counter. Then you quickly jump onto the PC, save the current URL to favourites. They come back, they stay for 20 mins then leave, you  jump onto that PC and go to favourites and load the URL. and alakazam, your logged into there account.

This is a REALLY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN, but hey, anything is possible.

I just had to explain what the whole point of hiding a URL is for lol  ;D

Note: that is only one reason/example to hide the URL.

Regards ACE

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.