how easy is it to password protect?

jacko_162

i have designed a cms system with my basic knowledge of .php some old .php scripts off a friend and help from this forum, the last thing on my list before i can make my site go live now is to password protect the admin backend.

can anyone offer any code snippets or tutorials on how i can achieve this please.

Thank you very much.

i do have access to sql, but i dont have a clue about sessions or cookies!?

if i want to log in from a number of locations am i best using sessions?! for now i only want one password and username to access the whole control panel but it would be nice to have 2 types of users 1 full control and 1 to just control products??

like i said anyone wanna help me with this? or links to code snippets and/or tutorials?!

Search for a PHP Authentication script, you'll find tons.

You'll want to use sessions after you log in to track your "Role", and you can use a Cookie if you want to store info so you don't have to log in again when you return.

i do have access to sql, but i dont have a clue about sessions or cookies!?

if i want to log in from a number of locations am i best using sessions?! for now i only want one password and username to access the whole control panel but it would be nice to have 2 types of users 1 full control and 1 to just control products??

like i said anyone wanna help me with this? or links to code snippets and/or tutorials?!

The best and most secure way for a novice PHP programmer is to use sessions/cookies.

By simply calling session_start() a session id will be assigned to the client. This will be stored in a cookie and sent back and forth between the server and the client untill the session is ended. A session can be ended using session_destroy() or by a user closing their browser/deleteing their cookies.

When a client logs in correctly, create a session variable called 'isAuthorised' and set it to true.

Every page that requires the client to be authenticated simply check whether or not isAuthorised is true or false.

I hope this helps

this sounds pretty easy(ish) is there anywhere i can go visit to give me an example of this code to use or a tutorial of some sort?!

i only need 2x users, one main admin and another to only access product pages (add, deltete, view etc..)

Thank you guys

p.s i am currently using .htaccess and i am not overly keen on this method as i know it can be worked around..

Create a class heirarchy of authentication, which you can apply to other classes, and then create a single point of entry (i.e. front controller, if you want to google it). This should alleviate some of your issues, or possibly create others if you don't have a great grip of classes.

Sessions are you only option really, so go down that road. .htaccess is fine, but unmaintainable...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.