fast ip question

asmith

i want to save user ip when register directly to mysql table .

insert into table(ip) values ('$getenv(REMOTE_ADDR)')

is the ip coming from the user safe enough ? i don't know whether it can be change to something harmful or not .

should i validate that funcation first before inserting to sql ?

correct you can't ban someone by their ip becuse ISPs use whats called an IP pool they own ips

123.1.1.0 to 123.1.1.195 or what ever and everytime someone connections with their system they get assigned a free IP in the pool

so one day you might ban Joe Smith

but the next day its Margret brown's IP

the idea of IP  , can work only to people with static ip address , huh?

i want to ban some people , but if they could come again with another account...

i know it is not that perfect, people "can" change their ip address through ip changing programs, non proxy sites ...

e-mail idea is good , but i guess most of people usually have more than 1 e-mail account . so they already have chances before givin up from making e-mail addresses.

use their email address eventually they will stop making email accounts

I don't know about that. I moderate for a forum where Russian spammers are creating accounts like crazy. I'm pretty sure they use bots for account creation, including the acquisition of new email accounts from gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc. There are definitely some very sophisticated bots out there.

if someone is serious he can open up another account no matter how many limits i set for him .

but i don't want to make it that much easy too .

regex way ....hm  thinking about it.. why people should use same pattern or something like e-mail ?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.