PHP functions on my server limited... need help

interpim

Im not sure this is in the wrong spot or not, but here goes anyways :)

I have used Yahoo webhosting for the past 6 or 7 years now, and they have been fine for the most part.  I have run into a few problems though, and typically it is with how restrictive they are with their servers.

I was attempting to build a web based email page for my son to use (I.E. super simple) for when I am away on deployment (military).

Well... after some coding I came to find out that my web host doesn't support the PHP Imap functions, and upon further investigation they limit quite a bit from me, and I haven't had a problem up until now because I haven't needed these additional functions.

Can anyone reccomend either a solution around my web mail issue, or offer some advice on a good web host...

I need at least a 99% up-time, at least 5GB of space, and of course PHP/MySQL.  I pay about $14 a month now, and would like to stay under that amount.

I have never switched hosts before, so if anyone has any advice or tidbits for when I do that it would be greatly appreciated...

Here is the list of PHP functions they have...  http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/smallbusiness/webhosting/php/php-33.html

I get 5GB of space, 30GB of transfer, 200 Emails, 20 sub-domains... and a few other things...

Well the list of functions are enough to get stuff done. That's as much as I know. Then again, I'm not an expert with PHP.

Bluehost and dreamhost each offers a minimum 500 GB space, 5 TB of bandwidth, unlimited emails, unlimited sub-domains and a lot of other things for less than $14 a month. Heck that, less than $8 a month. Almost half the price. :P

OK... one question i have, is what should I be looking for if I want to be able to keep my email address as a me@mydomain.com?

Nothing. Unless your domain is hosted by Yahoo!, then you don't need to do anything. Set up the host and just set up your email on your new host. That's it.

instead of using email protocols, why don't you just simulate the email experience?

email as most people refer to it is just a screen that enables you to check incoming messages and send outgoing messages to people

Make a webpage that allows a person to submit messages to you..etc...

Store the messages in a DB, mySQL, text file, ..whatever

Make some other kind of passworded or special access page/maneuver to read the messages

Think about the PM system here on phpfreaks.

Make it as simple or complicated as you want.

If you have web access to check your "email" then I suppose you can access to check your simulated email on this php page you have created..etc..

well... my problem is I have been using a web based email in the past, but in the Navy they restrict access to the big ones, since they are sure any virus problems they may have are coming from out private emails (hotmail, Yahoo, etc.)

So, I can download my Yahoo email with POP3, but I can't sign in to Yahoo when I at work, so when I go out for a few months at a time, I miss all my email.  A page on my own website that can read that email solves my problem :)

there are tons of good hosts out there for less than 10.00.  Try out webhostingtalk.com I think it's called to get some reasonably frank discussion on it.  I would stay away from the hosts that offer you 1000 Gb storage and 1000GB traffic, type deals.  they are overselling to the extreme and if they don't be careful can have a very poor server.  almost every host oversells to some extent though.  just try and use a fraction of those resources and see how quickly you are booted for using too much cpu.  but all hosts will limit some of php's activity as much of it is not safe for a shared server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.