Sun acquires MySQL

beebum

i have read this news also.. and some react like they are afraid that MYSQL will be no longer  free

any thoughts about this?

I have heard nothing that indicates that MySQL's licensing scheme will be changed. (At present, MySQL is licensed under the GPL for the Free version, and an OEM license for commercial users.)

A part of me hopes that they do change the MySQL licensing, so then the world will hear about PostgreSQL, which is, in my opinion, far superior to MySQL. And there is another part of me that hopes that they preserve the current licensing, so the users still have a choice. Even if the only choice available is the product that I prefer, I would be uncomfortable. I would feel locked-in, as though I were back in the world of Microsoft, and I don't want that.

• 2 months later...

I would have to agree with you on this one. I think that putting the full resources of sun behind mysql will do nothing but good. I look forward to the acquisition.

Man, I love your signature!

On topic though...  Sun has been great with everything that they have done.  Adding MySQL to the mix is definately a great thing!

i have read this news also.. and some react like they are afraid that MYSQL will be no longer  free

any thoughts about this?

Sun has consistently shown itself to be a contributor to the open source community - more then one sun developer is currently working on linux projects.

Plus they know that if they made mysql a paid for service/application, their user base would drop significantly. It's so big mainly because it's free. If it wasn't, many of us would (through choice or economics) move on to something else.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as I was somewhat satisfied to report that Sun would be closing down bits and pieces of MySQL (I don't much like MySQL), I am equally satisfied to report that Kaj Arnö, VP of MySQL's Community Relations has announced that they've reversed their earlier decision re: closing it down.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.