PHP Performance

TheFilmGod

PHP performance -

with over 1,000 concurrent users and about 100 page requests per second - will php manage?

Can you tell me the performance of php? I know php has been used on a big sites, but is there something I can do to improve its performance? I don't want to dive into Mysql for this topic - but that bothers me too.

Any suggestions/ideas?

PHP performance -

with over 1,000 concurrent users and about 100 page requests per second - will php manage?

Can you tell me the performance of php? I know php has been used on a big sites, but is there something I can do to improve its performance? I don't want to dive into Mysql for this topic - but that bothers me too.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Well seeing as php has no control on hardware specs of your server that is irrelevant.

That isn't a terrible amount, but the question is not whatever or not "php" can do it, but if your server hardware specs and network stats are there.

Php performance variance from other scripting languages like asp is so minute that you have to look at the quality of the scripting vs the performance of a language. 

If you write crap you get crap its that simple

If your server is a hamster wheel in a box then don't expect more out of it.

A lot depends on the quality of the coding itself.... As stated before...

I'm highly certain you could higher a crap php developer, and a professional one who knows about performace, have them create a script that does the exact same thing, put them on two identical boxes and watch one highly outperform the other...

The question as to whether or not the language itself can handle it is irrelevent.. The question is, can the hardware support it and how well is the code written.... Crappy coding can make a very big difference and create a lot of overhead on even the most powerful machines.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.