Local Site Search

hcdarkmage

Here we go with a question that may cause the two word answer "Google it".  The problem is I am not sure which keywords to use.  Does any body know of a program or function that searches your site files (local or other) and tells you what files you have on the site that are not needed (i.e. images, web pages, old style sheets)?

Has anybody run into this type of problem before?

I am cleaning our company's website, but I don't necessarily want to go through EVERY batch of code to see what file are being used, what are missing and what need to be taken off to save space.

And if you are going to be nice and say "Google", then could you at least give me a good keyword (or words) that will point me in the right direction.  I don't want to start a fight.

hmm i suppose "website syncronisation" might be worth a shot, as i'm not aware of one off the top of my head - i'd be interested to find out what you come up with though, as i also have the same issue of old files.

I know BBEdit (Mac) has the ability to compare folders, and tells you which files exist in one and not the other, but i'm not sure that one of these folders can be a remote one.

Syncronization is not exactly what I am looking for, though it may help.  I also have Xenu (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) for looking into broken links, but it doesn't tell me if files, pics, pages, etc. are not being linked to in any way, shape or form.

What a pain!  The web site is running fine, but the excessive files that don't go anywhere are driving me nuts.  It would help to have a program that tells you what files can be deleted without hurting your site.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.