security

asmith

hey guys

i will be working with paypal  ,and i will work on some script  which would pay the site users from the site paypal account .

users will be allowed to specify an amount with a limit of a number recorded in mysql . for example if a user have "5$ discount"  . he can transfer no more than 5 $ and ...

i was wondering what things should i be careful about ? i mean  in any chance a user could crack mysql (i don't know how except injections) , and update his "5" to "50" or "500" , then ...

any tips for what things i must be careful about ?  ( i have no file uploading on the site (except my forum has, which is in another database with another sql user) . and all the text inputs has been verified, so no one can use my html text inputs for injections)

P.s. any difference i between i use myisam tables or innodb ?

thanks

u have to secure / validate any external variables.

example
[code]<?php
$number=$_GET['number'];

echo "$number X 5 = ". $number*5;
mysql_query("UPDATE table SET number=$number WHERE id=1");
?>

this is very insecure, because we didnt validate $number.

in the echo statement a malicious user can insert some javascript, which cud lead to hacked accts.

than u have it going to a MySQL statement, without proper validation/sanitization, u risk yer whole db to be hacked.

<?php
function validate_number($number,$min=0,$max=100)
{
    $number=intval($number);
    if($number<$min) $number=$min;
    if($number>$max) $number=$max;
    return $number;
}
$number=validate_number($_GET['number'],1,10);

echo "$number X 5 = ". $number*5;
mysql_query("UPDATE table SET number=$number WHERE id=1");
?>

intval converts a value into an integer. what the script is expecting.

the min/max is a sample of validating our extternal variable and forcing it to conform to what we expect it to be.

There is a lot more to Injection attacks but this is just a simple example[/code]

thanks laffin for taking time and write those codes .

actually i have fully validating the GET variables and also those variables are not going to my sql . 

there's no java script using but for the page view , so almost no java script i have used.  and there's no text field that hasn't pass my fully validation.

i was just wondering , maybe some other tips were available , not about injections with variables . 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.