Thesis / degree what ever it is called, in PHP. Any help?

NikkiLoveGod

Hi everybody!

I have to do a thesis, or getting my degree, for my school, or what ever it is called in your place. ( ni my place, its called opinnäytetyö or lopputyö :) )

Anyways, It is supposed to be a rather large project with made in PHP. I can decide the projects nature ja topic, pretty much all of it. But im quite out of ideas of what kind of project I could start. Im making it with my friends, and our PHP experience is not top notch OOP, but I think we know what we are doing. We have already done a web blog with PHP and now we want something challenging and fun to work with. The time is not that much of a issue here, since we have time until summer to finish it.

So, any ideas what to do? What kind of projects have you done in your past, or wanted to be part of? Any help is apreciated greatly!

-NikkiLoveGod

I've done an auction site for a local business where users can bid online, or call in and moderators can use the admin control panel to take call in bids.

You could make your own forums.

I'm guessing those are smaller project than you are looking for though. 

when i was in college I developed enrollment system for my thesis

and Personal information system, inventory system and grading system for my schoolmates thesis

very boring right?

auction is good and maybe classifieds free listings something like ebay etc,,,

Thanks for your replies! I was thinking that no-one would reply me at all :D

But I'll take that auction thing as a good suggestion, because I dont have my ecommerce class done yet, so I would propably get it done in there aswell.

My friend was thinking of making our own forums, but as we are doing it together, forums might be just a tad too small project for us. Ofcourse we could make it a GOOD forums. But the idea is to make the project so good, that we can use it as a reference for programming companies to hire us in some part of our lives :D

That Enrollment system is not "boring", but I think it is a little "dull", if you know what I mean :D But theres the bonus, that it is something that people actually use it in your school ( ? ) and thats always a good thing in your CV!

Im starting to get the feeling im shooting this thing way over. Im like thinking in my head "Haa! Maybe I could combine a CRM system, ecommerce, and top it off with a auctions!" This would be totally awesome, but we might run out of time in a project of that caliber :D But hey, who knows?

Thanks again for the comments! Appreciate it! Keep em coming!

BTW, any example projects that we can look into? ( look into != RIP OFF )

-NikkiLoveGod

I'm not sure how elaborate it could get, but you do an invoice generating site for small businesses. 

Another one could be some sort of trucking company organizer.  Every time a truck is loaded, sent off to it's destination, and unloaded it's recorded on the website.  Then everyone can always know who is where and with what. And maybe some sort of visual map plotting out where all the trucks are.  Just a thought.

This again! The truckthing was a nice suggestion, and very doable, but we decided yesterday, to make a browser-game, that as small factor e-commerce, and small factor CRM in there. We might be biting a tad too big of a bite here, but we'll what this leads into! :)

Cya! Im sure I'll be in here to ask some help for the project ;D

-NikkiLoveGod

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.