Voting System

thewhat

Hey all. I'm setting up a simple voting code on my website. I've got the basic stuff put down. But I've hit a wall. I'm not quite sure how to display who has the most votes. I've got the code that inputs the 1+ vote for whoever they are voting for but that is it. So how would I go about displaying whoever has the most votes at any given time? Some dbcount() kind of thing I'm guessing but eh. ???

Alright. Example time!  ;D

User A has 10 votes

User B has 10 votes

User C has 11 votes

So since User C has the most votes, he and only he would be displayed. Now, User D and E both vote for User A, giving him 12 votes, putting him in the lead which means that he is now displayed on the page rather than User C.

errrrr.....

SELECT * FROM votes ORDER BY vote_count DESC LIMIT 10

That would give you the top 10 records ordered by votes descending.  (x, y so that y <= x, z so that z<=y, etc)

(That assumes you store it with votes per key, not logs of each actual vote.)

No offense, but errr... as AndyB is hinting, you should probably read some MySQL articles....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.