Building a CMS need answers with an eye towards SEO and DB load

s0c0

I am writing a custom CMS for a client.  I am trying to decide whether when the CMS creates a new page I should just ad a record in the database containing the information or whether the CMS should create an entirely new file.  Here are my concerns:

DB Method:

• It's easier, but the "page" would be accessed using URL GET strings for instance they are on the about.php page and want to access the sucess stories so they click on a link which is really about.php?get=success+stories.
  • What will the load on the clients DB look with this approach, not to mention the size of the records in there...
  • Does this method hurt my client when it comes to SEO?

File Method

• If the DB method hurts my clients SEO and DB load I think I have to go with this method.  It's a bit harder and I may have to tell them it will push the project back a bit.

Other things to consider, the client is on a shared host, thats why i am concerned with DB load not to mention size.  Don't worry about any other things, I've thought of them already and don't want to make this post a book, I'm just stuck on which method to go with. 

Please advise....

Depending on the types of MySQL queries and the number of MySQL calls/selects on 1 page, this will determine if you are going to have problems or not.

Wordpress which uses MySQL can easily bring down a Dual Quad Core 3ghz with 4gb of memory with a digg/slashdot. This is purely because, there could be 20-30 MySQL queries per page, depending on the number of widgets used etc.

TBH - Your very much reinventing the wheel. There are LOADS of CMSs out there which are already built with SEO and performance in mind. Wordpress, gallery (caches a lot), drupal etc. Its just that its difficult to skin and setup them the way you want. Im looking towards typo3 for my CMS move.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.