Advice need re: server power config needs

versatilewt

My current app is outgrowing its shared hosting environment, and i'm looking at VPS vs dedicated hosting. i'm not quite sure what type of memory and proc requirements i'd need.

I have about 5 employee users constantly accessing a php/mysql crm app. probably about 100 visitors per day viewing a request for quote page driven by the DB. Mostly read queries, and the database is pretty well optimized. Also, would be storing hosting an osCommerce implementation that gets about 50-100 users / day.

I tried moving some sites to a VPS with 256 mb RAM, and the apache process kept on failing and I wouldn't be able to log in to the web host manager and would have to do a hard reset. So that has since been scrapped.

any advice/suggestions?

I've not had allot of luck running mysql and apache on the same vps's with less than 512mg of memory, ended up moving allot of clients over to sqlite which is actually a far bit quicker (and much less of a resource hog) then mysql anyway.

The specs of you app don't seem that intensive, if you have a database absraction layer in place and can easily switch to sqlite I would recommend it. You shouldn' thave any problems running on 256mg then, otherwise, if you must stick with mysql you will need at least a 512mg machine.

Kinda sucks having to compromise to run a vps but I think you'll find sqlite quite impressive once youve used it a while.

If your going to go for a vps or dedi, it might be worth it, to get the server without an admin panel and hire someone to custom build a stream lined apache/php/mysql services for you (this is what i do my for ft/job). THe controlpanels with default installs generaly have a very high footprint for the webservices (some upto 50meg! - that's 50 of ram users for each request to your website - you run out extremely quickly), if you can get a admin who can streamline the apache/php down to bare mimium (for your needs) you might be able to get it down to 8-10 meg, which is a massive improvement, and also means you less a way less powerfull machine to get the same level of service out of it for you.

I definately concur with powerspike. Remove any control panel items. I remember looking at a server before for tomf. It had ISPConfig which had a ton of stuff including clamav which he didnt use.

I have apache2 running on 192mb ram for the past few years. It has mediawiki, gallery, wordpress and a load of other apps with 1GB+ of traffic a day been pushed. Try these settings for apache:

<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>

StartServers          5

MinSpareServers      5

MaxSpareServers      10

MaxClients          150

MaxRequestsPerChild 1000

</IfModule>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.