RSI?

I am increasingly bothered by a pain in the hand I mouse with. From what I read, RSI is mostly about shoulder, arm and neck pain. I have neither of those, just a nagging pain in the hand...

I'm curious if anyone has similar complaints, and maybe some tips to alleviate this problem?

RSI affects any joint that experiences the same movements over and over, so your mouse hand is a very likely target for RSI. (Let's face it, there aren't very many different ways to click.)

I have only felt the symptoms of RSI once or twice, but I remember how painful it is. The standard (very effective, too) way to alleviate RSI is to take frequent, short breaks, and to vary your movements frequently. (You can find tools to help you remember to take breaks, and even force you to.)

The proper work tools can also help considerably. Ergonomic human-interface devices and a well designed work environment can go a long way in making your workday more comfortable. In your situation, you may want to try a different mouse. I've been using a Logitech G7 for a few years, and I've had amazing luck with it. (It's very technically amazing, too, but that's for another time.) The MX family is very similar to the G7; I've used the MX700 and MX1000, and can vouch for them.

It's also possible that your chair placement is putting your arms at an odd angle to the desk. I don't know what the best angle is, but you could try changing it and seeing if it helps.

And take a look at http://www.rsi-relief.com. I've only discovered it now, but after a quick once-over, it looks like they have a lot of valuable resources.

I have looked for an ergonomically formed mouse, but they don't make many of them for lefties.

Take a look at this one. I haven't used the MX 610, but I would assume that it comes with the standard Logitech excellence.

And if that doesn't suit you, I can say with some certainty that the G7 and the MX 1000 would be comfortable for lefties as well as righties. They're designed fairly symmetrically, with a few curves and twists here and there. They don't feel exactly the same in your left hand as in your right, but they're still comfortable.

Ooph. It's ugly.  :D

I currently own this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=084

I'm a sucker for brushed alu. I'm also in love with the charger, which is a pleasant deviation from the standard stick-in-upright type.

Maybe I should try the monstrosity though. I wonder if it will really make a difference.

I get RSI in my wrists all the time.

It helps to use a mouse pad with the padded wrist support.

Also an elasticated support bandage for your wrist is good to wear while asleep, make sure to buy a proper wrist one that has a metal strip for support. Available from most chemists.

Rub deep heat into your wrist also.

I had RSI so badly once that it traveled all the way up my arm and into my shoulder and I was put in plaster. Don't let it get to that extreme.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.