Email

koure

Hi

I'm trying to develop a web mail system. Any user can create an e-mail account and then enjoy the features that are provided by email applications(send-receive emails). The problem is that I don't know how to register a new user. For example I save their details to my db but how the names can be created in the email server list. And also does anybody know how to create such a server?

Thanks in advance

Aren't the mentioned applications simply mail clients? They don't actually create accounts on the mail server?

Indeed. I dont think koure wants to code a mailserver in php :-)

Koure, is it the imap features in php that you developed? Putting all the individual imap_open() functions into a working client will be quite a lot of work, and to be honest would require a large tutorial.

-steve

Aren't the mentioned applications simply mail clients? They don't actually create accounts on the mail server?

Indeed. I dont think koure wants to code a mailserver in php :-)

I'm not suggesting he was trying to build a mail server in php, simply stating that the applications you pointed out will not create accounts on a mail server either. all they do is access existing accounts.

Configuring a mail server to be able to host multiple accounts on the same domain is quite a complex task. By default, mail servers can only host mail accounts for actual system users. That is to say, users whom have a shell account on the server machine. In order to dynamically add virtual users (that is users whom do not have shell access to the server machine) you will need to reconfigure the mail server to read its users from a database (rather than the default flat file setup).

Last time I had to do such a thing I followed this guide,.

Once you have configured the mail server to host multiple virtual accounts it is then quite simple to add new users by running a simple INSERT query.

As I said, this really isn't a simple task and you will need root access to the server machine.

Have fun.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.