Autogenerate ID code continuing from last DB entry but not writting to it

chet139

I have an order page for which I want the user to be able to generate an orderid for a particular order before starting to add items to the order.

Now this is not a customer system and is intended to be used only by internal staff.

Basically all I am after is a button, which once the user presses it should supply an ordernumber BUT which is not already in the database. So if 1,2,3,4 are in already in 5 should be returned, but not added to the DB. I only want to use it as a variable for now.

If this does not make sense please ask..... I am new to this LOL....

Thanks for the responses.

Firstly for the purpose of this project there is no issues of multiusers, but certainly a valid point. Thank you.

Bauer418 - your idea is exactly what I need. But being new to this I am at a lost of how to put that into code - Though it is likely quite simple.  I would run the query which in mycase would be:

SELECT MAX (orderId) + 1 from order

But from that all I would want is the orderId+1 result stored in some var as I would not be adding to the DB until later on......can you help?

Thanks!

It does not work, I have had to make a few naming changes and i realised its ordId not orderId - but thats not the problem.

$query = "SELECT MAX (ordId) + 1 AS newOrderId FROM order";// query to generate new order ID
	$res = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
	$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($res);
	$new_orderid = $row['newOrderId'];

then to use the new var i have used it as so..

Order ID:</b><br/> <input type ="text" value ="<?php $new_orderid?>" name="orderId">

but upon load this page (its all on one page the following error is return)

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'order' at line 1

NOTE: on line 1 there is nothing apart from "<html>".

I tried running the query from mysql query browser and it does not work there either....

Nope still no joy

tried

$query = "SELECT MAX (ordId) + 1 AS newOrderId FROM 'order'";// query to generate new order ID

Gives same error.

Also tried but with no joy -

$query = "SELECT MAX (ordId) + 1 AS newOrderId FROM furniture.order";// query to generate new order ID

But gives following error:

FUNCTION furniture.MAX does not exist

Two possible problems:

1--Your MySQL doesn't like the space you're including between MAX and (ordid)...so try MAX(ordid)...yes, it's ridiculous, but I've seen more ridiculous things.

2--Your version of MySQL does not support the MAX function (which is what the error seems to be saying).  At that point, you could always do something like:

SELECT id FROM order ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1[code=php:0]

...which will give you the highest order number on the table.  Then...just add 1 before display.

Further to this,

I cleared by whole DB table and it transpired that  once the DB is empty the orderId is not autoset to 1.

Any help appreciated the code is as below.

Like I said works fine accept it wont generate new ID if DB is empty.

$query = "SELECT MAX(custId) + 1 AS newcustId FROM `customer`";// query to generate new order ID
	$new_custid = $row['newcustId'];

Ok, so I skimmed over this and sorry if it is totally off topic but here it goes:

To me the database designed is flawed. Usually with a cart system you have two tables for orders, "orders" which contains the order information IE who, when, where email etc. The second table, which uses the orderid from the "orders" table is called "orderitems" which contains an orderitemid, orderid, itemid.  From there you can create order ids and then dynamically add items to the order by simply using that id, and removing items in a similar fashion. I am sure there was a tutorial on who to set it up in depth, but what you are essentially doing with the logic I put above is making the database in 3rd Normal Form, which is the standard for a database to be in and the preferred/efficient method.

Again sorry if I mis-read this completely.

Thanks for your input again Bauser  I will give that a try later today

The database design is not flawed and is normalised.

An order can have many products and a product can be on many orders. Therefore you have a many to many relationship. IN terms of long term storage, with regards to the order, there is an order table which holds no product details of an order ! as that would not be a good idea!

So an orderline table will be created.

Thanks

Ok,

So I used

if (!$new_orderid || !is_integer($new_orderid))
	{
		$new_orderid = 1;
	}

(Excuse the change of Var names)

Instead of 0 i wanted 1 so i changed it. It works however once a record has been added with ID of 1, the code still returns 1 as next ID.

The code I have now is below:

$query = "SELECT MAX(ordId) + 1 AS newOrderId FROM `order`";// query to generate new order ID
	if (!$new_orderid || !is_integer($new_orderid))
	{
		$new_orderid = 1;
	}

$query = "SELECT MAX(ordId) + 1 AS newOrderId FROM `order`";// query to generate new order ID
$new_orderid = $row['newOrderId'] ? $row['newOrderId'] : 1;

That should do it...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.