quick question on Order BY

chiefrokka

I have a field called "Week_Lost".  by default it's 0 until they lose, then it's set to the week they lost.

I want to list all the users based on this Week_Lost column... starting from those who haven't lost yet go at the top, (those with values of 0 or Order ASC)... then i want to display those who lasted the longest (Order By Week_Lost DESC)

can you do this or do I have to create another column just to track who has lost or not?

that make sense?  lol

0 should come before all alpha charactors and you would set it as ASC instead of DESC as you want to start low and count up.

If not workign then yes you may need 2 wueries to select all with value 0 then run a loop DESC from there on.

Regards

Liam

I tried this but it didn't work.  this displays all the 0's first, but then 3, 4 are next so it's not doing the DESC like I want.  If I take off the first DESC then it displays the 3, 4, then 0's..  weird.

<?php
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM Users WHERE LeagueID = '$LeagueID' 
ORDER BY (Week_Lost = 0) DESC, (Week_Lost != 0) DESC  ") 
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) // loop through every user in the league
{ 
}
?>

I have tons of code after I do the while records exists, so not sure how doing 2 queries would work because I use $row['fields'] a lot in the code.  plus I'm using the WHERE for my LeagueID

There's probably a better way, but worst case you could do:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE LeagueID = '{$LeagueID}' AND Week_Lost = 0
UNION
SELECT * FROM Users WHERE LeagueID = '{$LeagueID}' AND Week_Lost <> 0 ORDER BY Week_Lost DESC

There's probably a better way, but worst case you could do:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE LeagueID = '{$LeagueID}' AND Week_Lost = 0
UNION
SELECT * FROM Users WHERE LeagueID = '{$LeagueID}' AND Week_Lost <> 0 ORDER BY Week_Lost DESC

anybody have an easier way?  if not, can you put this into syntax how I would use it based on my code above.  I'm confused a little... would I do two $Results = or all in one?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.