2 seperate servers

brown2005

Hi, If I was to have 2 seperate servers...

1 for the main website.. all the files etc..

1 for pictures

would this work faster than having all of it on one site?

Yes it would but imo that is not needed unless your site has a huge number of static files or has *a lot* of traffic. 

If one server crashed, you still would have the other... which would/could take over the crashed one's duties until the old one got fixed.

Basically... if you have a HUGE site TONS of transfer TONS of connections more servers is better than one.

- 1+ for database

- 1+ for files

- 1+ for storage

- 1+ for any thing else

No. The static server would only serve the static content, the db server would only have the db, etc... they would not take of each other's duties. You could make a solution where you would do that, but that is not what brown2005 is talking about as far as I can see.

I know what your saying... I was just expanding... and I know they wouldn't take over each others duties, but

1 db server could take over another db server

or

1 image server could take over another image sever

etc.

You are wrong, you are thinking of some form of clustering or redundancy which is NOT what is being discussed. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.