Best method for a secure user session?

random1

I've checked out various ways to create a login system and there seems to be many security issues with all of them.

What do the real PHP developers use in business applications?

Are cookies less secure then a PHP session object?

Which is the best way to have a user logged into a system using a database?

there is no real need to encrypt the sessions tho, unless u give or set them from user input.

Sessions main PRO is that it's server side, meaning the user dusn have access to these variables.

Unlike cookies, where a user can alter/view the cookie themselves.

It's the implementation of authenticating the user, which shud be looked at.

I store a unique key in a cookie (md5 of some info stored in sessions)

if the cookie exists, than i compare it with the md5 of the sessions, otherwise i destroy the session and cookie.

$_COOKIE['key'] = md5($_SESSION['username'] . $_SESSION['user_ip'])

note: using the user's ip as part of the key, so the key can only be used by one machine location.

also use a expiry for session length :) Which you can reset on reauthentication. :)

i dont know how reliable this is please tell me but:

if you can't resolve the ipaddress to a domain name with gethostbyaddr($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']); then i would deny access to make sure its not a fake ip address, that way any hacking attacks when you log it you can log the hostname and therefor have evidence of location/ISP etc that im sure you can take to court if need be, though ipaddresses can be spoofed so that it give a hostname anyway (spoof clients ip with another real ip, like stealing someones ip address).

just a thought

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.