error in my SQL syntax, help pls!

nevsi79

I inserted some data in mySQL table as follows:

$add_claim_details_sql = "INSERT INTO claim_details (ins_ref_no) VALUES ('$your_ref_no')";
$add_claim_details_res = mysql_query($add_claim_details_sql) or die ("Could not edit item details:" . mysql_error());

so far so good - it works, great stuff, but ... ???

I would like to give some feedback to the user, ie, I want to supply the user who's submitted the form with a ref. no.

The ref. no is the id from claim_details. (the id is set to be a primary key auto-increment).

so I was hoping to achieve this by writing the following script:

$query = "SELECT id FROM claim_details WHERE id=".$_GET['id'];
$result = mysql_query($query)or die("Could not get your ref. no.:" . mysql_error());
echo $result;

Obviously it does not work as I get the following error:

Could not get your ref. no.:You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

I do not how to identify the id - which will be the reference number unique to the just submitted form.

I hope my question makes sense and someone will help.

Thanks!

It didn't work guys as I don't get the ref. no (i.e. the id unique to the just submitted data), instead I get:

Resource id #4

Here is all my code:

$add_claim_details_sql = "INSERT INTO claim_details (ins_ref_no) VALUES ('$your_ref_no')";
$add_claim_details_res = mysql_query($add_claim_details_sql) or die ("Could not edit item details:" . mysql_error());
echo $add_claim_details_res;
echo "</br>";
echo "thank you, your form has been submitted and the your data was stored in our db";
echo "</br>";
$query = "SELECT id FROM claim_details WHERE id='".mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id'])."'";
$result = mysql_query($query)or die("Could not get your ref. no.:" . mysql_error());
echo "your ref no is: $result";

When I run it, I get the following every time:

thank you, your form has been submitted and the your data was stored in our db

your ref no is:Resource id #4

Where 1 is what I have put in the form for ins_ref_no.

However the resource id is not the desired output, it should have been 34 (or whatever is- which is  id corresponding to the    data that have been inserted with the $add_claim_details_sql.

thank you thorpe,

:-[ - as I said I am new to PHP :-[

so I added the following 2 lines to my script:

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
echo $row;

but it did not return the id, it returned nothing!

What am I doing wrong?

thank you thorpe,

Embarrassed - as I said I am new to PHP Embarrassed

so I added the following 2 lines to my script:

Code:

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

echo $row;

but it did not return the id, it returned nothing!

What am I doing wrong?

sorry I do not understand your question  :-[

This is all my code:

session_start();
include('conn.php');//Connection to databse
//Random Number

$rand = rand(1000, 2000);
$_SESSION['guid'] = $rand;
$guid = $_SESSION['guid'];
echo "SESSION ID is <b>".$guid."</b><br/><br/>";
$your_ref_no = htmlspecialchars($_POST['tfa_YourRefNo']);
//check to see if the form has been submitted
if(isset($_POST['tfa_submitAction'])){

//add to claim_details table

echo $add_claim_details_res;
echo "</br>";
echo "thank you, your form has been submitted and the your data was stored in our db";
echo "</br>";
$query = "SELECT id FROM claim_details WHERE id='".mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id'])."'";
//$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($result);
echo $num_rows;

My form is in another file called: testform.html

The testform.html has an action that equals the url to the above php page and the submit button of the testform.html has a name=''tfa_submitAction''.

This is the form, but so far I have only output <h3>Claim Details</h3>.

Hopefully you will not be confused with the rest of it.

<!-- FORM: HEAD SECTION -->
<link href="http://app.formassembly.com/wForms/3.0/css/black/wforms.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></link>
<link href="http://app.formassembly.com/wForms/3.0/css/wforms-jsonly.css" rel="alternate stylesheet" title="This stylesheet activated by javascript" type="text/css"></link>
<link href="http://app.formassembly.com/wForms/3.0/css/wforms-layout.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></link>
<link href="file:///nevenaaleksieva/Desktop/testform.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<!--[if IE 7]>
<link href="http://app.formassembly.com/wForms/3.0/css/wforms-layout-ie7.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></link>
<![endif]-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://app.formassembly.com/wForms/3.0/js/wforms.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://app.formassembly.com/wForms/3.0/js/wforms_custom_validation.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://app.formassembly.com/js/populate_form.js"></script>

<!-- FORM: BODY SECTION -->
<div class="wForm">
<div class="codesection" id="code-"></div>
<form method="post" action="http://www.geeks-fix.co.uk/testform/output.php" id="id2489978" class="labelsAbove hintsTooltip" enctype="multipart/form-data">
<input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="10485760"><div class="wfPage " id="wfPgIndex-1">
<h3>Claim Details:</h3>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_YourRefNo" class="preField">Your Ref. No:<span class="reqMark">*</span></label>
<input type="text" id="tfa_YourRefNo" name="tfa_YourRefNo" value="" size="40" class="required"><br>
          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_YourRefNo-E"></span>
</div>
</div>
<div class="wfPage " id="wfPgIndex-2">
<h3>Policy Holder Info</h3>
<fieldset id="tfa_FullName" class="">
<legend>Full Name</legend>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_Title" class="preField">Title</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_Title" name="tfa_Title" value="" size="8" class=""><br>
          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_Title-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_FirstName" class="preField">First Name</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_FirstName" name="tfa_FirstName" value="" size="50" class=""><br>
          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_FirstName-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_Initials" class="preField">Initials</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_Initials" name="tfa_Initials" value="" size="" class=""><br>
          <span class="errMsg" id="Initials-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_FamilyName" class="preField">Family Name<span class="reqMark">*</span></label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_FamilyName" name="tfa_FamilyName" value="" size="50" class="required">
          	<div class="field-hint-inactive" id="tfa_FamilyName-H">
          	<span>if there is more than one person on the policy, 
                    please separate the family names with comma.</span>
                    </div>
<br><span class="errMsg" id="tfa_FamilyName-E"></span>
</div>
</fieldset>
<fieldset id="tfa_Address" class="">
<legend>Address</legend>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_StreetAddress" class="preField">Street Address<span class="reqMark">*</span></label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_StreetAddress" name="tfa_StreetAddress" value="" size="50" class="required"><br>			          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_StreetAddress-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_Addresscontinued" class="preField">Address continued</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_Addresscontinued" name="tfa_Addresscontinued" value="" size="50" class=""><br>			          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_Addresscontinued-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_City" class="preField">City</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_City" name="tfa_City" value="" size="" class=""><br>
          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_City1-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_Postcode" class="preField">Postcode<span class="reqMark">*</span></label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_Postcode" name="tfa_Postcode" value="" size="8" class="required">
          <br><span class="errMsg" id="tfa_Postcode-E"></span>
</div>
</fieldset>
<fieldset id="tfa_Telephone" class="required">
<legend>Telephone:</legend>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_Home" class="preField">Home:</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_Home" name="tfa_Home" value="" size="40" class="validate-integer">
          <br><span class="errMsg" id="tfa_Home-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_Mobile" class="preField">Mobile:</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_Mobile" name="tfa_Mobile" value="" size="40" class="validate-integer">
          <br><span class="errMsg" id="tfa_Mobile-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_Work" class="preField">Work:</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_Work" name="tfa_Work" value="" size="40" class="validate-integer"><br>
          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_Work-E"></span>
</div>
</fieldset>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_emailaddress" class="preField">email address</label>
<input type="text" id="tfa_emailaddress" name="tfa_emailaddress" value="" size="40" class="validate-email">		          <br>
<span class="errMsg" id="tfa_emailaddress-E"></span>
</div>
</div>
<div class="wfPage " id="wfPgIndex-3">
<h3>Item Claimed Details:</h3>
<fieldset id="tfa_Item" class="repeat">
<legend>Item </legend>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_ItemName" class="preField">Item Name<span class="reqMark">*</span></label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_ItemName" name="tfa_ItemName" value="" size="40" class="required"><br>
          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_ItemName-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_ItemMake" class="preField">Item Make</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_ItemMake" name="tfa_ItemMake" value="" size="40" class="">
          <br><span class="errMsg" id="tfa_ItemMake-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_ItemDetails" class="preField">Item Details</label>	
          <input type="text" id="tfa_ItemDetails" name="tfa_ItemDetails" value="" size="40" class=""><br>	
          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_ItemDetails-E"></span>
</div>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_ItemPrice" class="preField">Item Price</label>
          <input type="text" id="tfa_ItemPrice" name="tfa_ItemPrice" value="" size="40" class=""><br>
          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_ItemPrice-E"></span>
</div>
<span class="duplicateSpan"><a id="tfa_Item-wfDL" class="duplicateLink" href="#">add another item</a>				          </span>
</fieldset>
<div class="oneField">
<label for="tfa_Attachadditional" class="preField">Attach additional info</label>
          <input type="file" id="tfa_Attachadditional" name="tfa_Attachadditional" value="" size="40" class=""><br>		          <span class="errMsg" id="tfa_Attachadditional-E"></span>
</div>
</div>

<div class="actions">
<input type="submit" class="primaryAction" id="submit-" name="tfa_submitAction" value="SUBMIT">
<input type="button" class="secondaryAction" onclick="history.go(-1)" value="CANCEL">
<input type="hidden" value="12461" name="tfa_dbFormId" id="tfa_dbFormId">
<input type="hidden" value="" name="tfa_dbResponseId" id="tfa_dbResponseId">
<input type="hidden" value="f7d9626afc92956c65cb904d2a6abcb7" name="tfa_dbControl" id="tfa_dbControl">
</div>
</form>
</div>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.