INSER INTO SELECT troubles

wookie

I want to select a whole column (from one table) and copy the results into one field in another table, I've tried using "INSERT INTO/SELECT" but this just creates many new rows in the second table, and I want it into one field...can this be done?

Many thanks!

Wookie

Its likely you need to specify a WHERE clause. Can we see your query?

Sure you can..

$query1 = mysql_query("INSERT INTO stev1965_smf14.listing (topl) SELECT url FROM stev1965_smf14.details WHERE position = 0") or die("Error: ".mysql_error());

The above query makes many new rows, each with a "url" in the collumn "topl", I need all the url's to be in one field in one row if its possible.

Regards

Wookie

The third party script I'm using is an autopost script that posts to a forum, this script can only run one query and post its results, hence why I'm making another table and condensing results to that. This is why I require all the urls in one field on one row.

HTH

Wookie

this script can only run one query and post its results

Surely you can alter this script do perform more than 1 query. I think i'm also missing the point when you're saying you need all this information in 1 row. You're making a post to a forum, i figured that, but how is this "post" being processed? This 3rd party script is doing what? Connecting to your DB and querying for information? Are you giving it a string? Does it take a string? Are you executing any SQL yourself?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.