this seems to be a common title: My PHP function is not working

Scutterman

Ok, I have just started to learn PHP and AJAX. I have been meaning to learn for a while, but I kind of forced myself to learn by creating a chatroom out of them. It was easier than i thought, since I found a pre-made code, and since php is so similar to javascript I found it easy enough to mod.

Everything was fine, until I decided to try and add in bb code. I wrote the following function:

function foo_bb($searchFor, $out1){

// $foo_now will store the string that will replace the bb code
// set it to bold for the first one
$foo_now = "font-weight: bold;";

// replace the bb code with html code for bold
while (strpos($out1, "[".$searchFor."]") != FALSE && strpos($out1, "[/".$serarchFor."]") != FALSE) {
$out1 = str_ireplace("[".$searchFor."]","<span style=".$foo_now.">", $out1);
$out1 = str_ireplace("[/".$searchFor."]","</span">", $out1);
}

// set $foo_now to underline
$foo_now = "text-decoration: underline;";

// search for underline bb code
$searchFor = "u";

// replace the bb code with html code for underline
while (strpos($out1, "[".$searchFor."]") != FALSE && strpos($out1, "[/".$serarchFor."]") != FALSE) {
}

// set $foo_now to italic
$foo_now = "font-style: italic;";

// search for italic bb code
$searchFor = "i";

// replace the bb code with html code for italic
}

// return the modified message
return $out1;

}

and I call it using:

$out = foo_bb("b",$out);

The php file has been called using AJAX xml http requests:

xhr.open("GET", "data2.php?m=" + message + "&c=" + txtColor + "&t=" + time1 + "&g=" + time2,  true);
   xhr.send(null); 

all variables passed to the php function are correct, and xhr is what has been used to set up the request

ok. A few facts.

* I have gone through at least half a dozen tutorials, and I cannot see what's wrong with the function.

* If I comment out the parts that call the function, I get the same error.  I need to comment out the function itself to get the chatroom working again.

* The only error is from the xhr.status, which I have displaying whenever the status is not 200. The error is 500 [server] which, in combination with everything else, lead me to believe that the function is the problem.

The source files are:

php file: http://scutterman.com/help/data.txt

html file: http://scutterman.com/help/index.htm.txt

ok, I think that's about it...

I hope that is enough detail, without being overly complex...

TIA

~~Scutterman~~

your function won't compile as written. if you're not seeing that error, you should ensure error_reporting is turned on.

i suggest that you use a text editor that will highlight 'off' areas in a different color so you can see, for instance, where you have a double-quote and shouldn't have one.

It can be really hard to debug server side scripts invoked via XHR.  The best thing to do is create a test script that calls the code invoked via XHR to make sure it is working correctly.  Then use it for your actual XHR requests.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.