Very quick question regarding single-instance/singleton classes

Kevin3374

When you implement a single-instance class, it allows one instance of this class for each instance of the script correct?  In other words if 5 people are accessing the same script simultaneously, they each have their own instance of the class.  But each individual user cannot create more than one instance of this class, correct?

You are correct.  If there are 10 simultaneous requests from different users, then they will each get their own instance of the singleton.  AFAIK, there is no built in mechanism to share data and objects between requests, but I've never looked into it.

If you did want to share data between requests, then I'm sure you could.  If there isn't a built in mechanism you could develop one of your own via permanent storage like a database.  However you'd have to deal with broadcasting changes to the data, which I'm not sure how you'd accomplish that.

You are correct.  If there are 10 simultaneous requests from different users, then they will each get their own instance of the singleton.  AFAIK, there is no built in mechanism to share data and objects between requests, but I've never looked into it.

If you did want to share data between requests, then I'm sure you could.  If there isn't a built in mechanism you could develop one of your own via permanent storage like a database.  However you'd have to deal with broadcasting changes to the data, which I'm not sure how you'd accomplish that.

Thank you.  Good explanation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.