Query cache performance issues

phpknight

Hi,

I am trying to opimize my query cache but am having issues.  Most of my queries are very small, so I have set the query_cache_min_res_unit to 1K.  As you can see, although I have over 100M of free memory available, Qcache_lowmem_prunes is 400K.  Shouldn't it be zero, though?  Since each block is only 1K and there are 22K blocks, I am only using 22MB of memory.  So, I cannot see why anything is being pruned at all.

I am thinking of possible changing query_alloc_block_size and query_prealloc_size to 1K as well to see if that fixes it.  I cannot figure out why it is not utilizing the memory.  There are only 9K queries in the cache, it has pruned 400K, but there is still over 100M of unused space.

Hopefully that makes sense.  Please send along any advice.

SETTINGS

have_query_cache YES

query_alloc_block_size 8192

query_cache_limit 1048576

query_cache_min_res_unit 1024

query_cache_size 134217728

query_cache_type ON

query_cache_wlock_invalidate OFF

query_prealloc_size 8192

PERFORMANCE

Qcache_free_blocks 1606

Qcache_free_memory 116406976

Qcache_hits 4648341

Qcache_inserts 513814

Qcache_lowmem_prunes 413401

Qcache_not_cached 3093

Qcache_queries_in_cache 9188

Qcache_total_blocks 20185

Fenway,

I got it working now.  Just checked.  Here are my settings and explanation.

query_cache_min_res_unit 1024

query_alloc_block_size 1024

query_prealloc_size 8192

Basically, people talk a lot about query_cache_min_res_unit, which I changed.  BUT, this seemed to have no real affect if you don't set query_alloc_block_size to 1024 as well.  Otherwise, it continues to allocate in 8K chunks.  Also, unless I made a mistake twice in the config file, it appears that query_prealloc_size cannot go below 8K.  If you put 1K, it has no effect. 

So, once I changed the alloc_block to match the res_unit, it was working properly.  I am thinking it was allocating things by a factor of 8x, and this was leaving 7/8 of the memory untouched.

Please let me know what you think about this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.