the right output should be...

1-1

1-2

1-3

1-10

1-11

1-12

Please help me. Thank you...

There are several ways of making this "work", but all of them will be slower than if these were stored as numbers (they are string now.) So, if you are expecting a lot of data, it would be best to store them as numbers.

Is there a reason why you are storing them with the dash (instead of just formatting the output to add the dash when you display the information)?

They way they are stored now, it is impossible to do any greater-than/less-than comparisons or sorts directly in the query without passing every value through a mysql function(s) to get the values into a form that are comparable or sortable or even slower yet, fetching all the rows and using php code to accomplish anything with them.

If the format is x-xx then I suggest breaking it up into 2 different columns (both of which are INT), then you can ORDER BY ColA, ColB, et voila, problem resolved.

If it is not required to store the values in single column then aschk solution is best.

If the format is x-xx then I suggest breaking it up into 2 different columns (both of which are INT), then you can ORDER BY ColA, ColB, et voila, problem resolved.

If it is not required to store the values in single column then aschk solution is best.

If not, you can use an expression... but that's slow too.

hi guys,

I managed to create a script but I still have problems in here...

here it is...

$sql = mysql_query( "SELECT * FROM tblPlantilla ORDER BY

cast(left(itemNumber+ '-0', instr(itemNumber+ '-0', '-')) as unsigned) asc,

cast(mid(itemNumber+ '-0', instr(itemNumber+ '-0', '-')+1) as unsigned) asc");

I have this part which is wrong..

4-2

4-1

27-1

27-2

27-3

28-1

28-2

28-3

29-3

29-1

29-2

124-1

124-2

127-2

127-1

127-2

127-1

128-1

128-2

128-1

The output looks almost perfect but I wonder why some parts are not sorted right :(

Hope you can help me solve this... thanks alot!

Could you include each of those expressions in the column list?

What do you mean by that, sir?

I mean I'd like to see what those expression return.

This is part of the output...

4-2

4-1

27-1

27-2

27-3

28-1

28-2

28-3

29-3

29-1

29-2

124-1

124-2

127-2

127-1

127-2

127-1

128-1

128-2

128-1

I wonder why some are parts are not sorted correctly. Please help... I really need a solution for this asap. Thank you.

Sigh... run this:

SELECT cast(left(itemNumber+ '-0', instr(itemNumber+ '-0', '-')) as unsigned) as part1,  
cast(mid(itemNumber+ '-0', instr(itemNumber+ '-0', '-')+1) as unsigned) as part2, *
FROM tblPlantilla

Sigh... run this:

SELECT cast(left(itemNumber+ '-0', instr(itemNumber+ '-0', '-')) as unsigned) as part1,  
cast(mid(itemNumber+ '-0', instr(itemNumber+ '-0', '-')+1) as unsigned) as part2, *
FROM tblPlantilla

I run it but this is a portion of the output..

part1  part2 

0 0

0 1

0 10

0 10

0 100

0 101

0 101

0 102

0 102

part1 column returns 0 values...

Please...

By not structuring your data in a form that can be used directly in a query (see replies #5, #6, and #7), in addition to resulting an exceedingly slow query every time it is executed, using the current method will take an exceedingly long time to produce working code (it has been 5+ days since the thread was started.)

As was stated previously, by structuring the data in an easy to use format, ordering would simply be -

ORDER BY colA, colB

and outputting the value would be -

SELECT CONCAT(colA, '-', colB) as the_name_you_want

To get your data into that format in the table and changing your application code to insert it will be a one time operation that will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.