Custom FONTS

crashmaster

Hi there,

need help. How to use custom fonts (for ex. downloaded from dafont.com) on web site ?

I know, PC, will show only font, which are installed on PC at the moment..

But how to upload font to user's PC (background uploading), for correct view ?

Thanks

I don't think it's possible to install a font on another person's computer without having them download and install the font themselves.

I do know you can have "not common" fonts display via flash. But I'm not sure if there's any way to dynamically generate this (like if you were pulling text from a database and wanted it displayed in the flash font thing).

I guess the first question you should ask yourself is "Why do you absolutely need to use this specific font?"

The short answer is " it can't be done".

The medium answer is "it can be done on internet explorer only".

The long answer is "it can be done for all browsers in flash, but its not a great solution as the code isn't indexable or highlightable".

The short answer is " it can't be done".

The medium answer is "it can be done on internet explorer only".

The long answer is "it can be done for all browsers in flash, but its not a great solution as the code isn't indexable or highlightable".

Actually, not strictly true. A new version of HTML is nearly out, and with it comes the ability that the font uploaded/used will be displayed. This can be seen if you use Safari 3.1 or better. I believe the new version of Mozilla will to. It will be a matter of time until most use new browsers, so it will be able to soon :)

Then strictly speaking what I said WAS accurate, as I was speaking in the present tense. Loosely speaking its not, as the future holds changes.

But it will be a number of years until enough of the populace is using the new breed of browsers to make this technique worthwhile for commercial designers.

the WEFT method was (I believe) actually adopted as a standard. In the present climate Haku is indeed correct - in the future? We shall see - vednors say they will do things with browsers and don't but keep your fingers crossed and it will gain universal support...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.