Customizing linux

lupld

First of all, my plan is to make a linux floppy that starts up, fakes the Windows Boot Screen, and powers off instantly to mess with one of my friends. I think I could figure it out if someone could point me to what I need to start. Other thing I want to do is make a boot floppy to start up a live cd, cause I have a computer that doesn't have a cd option under the bios settings. Is there a way of installing lilo or grub to the floppy that allows me to type in which devices to boot, like /dev/sda1? That would be the easiest, cause then I could also use the same disc to boot a hard disk or flash drive.

thanks, now just to install grub from windows. I think I can manage that... Now just a little glancing over the code. I think I'm gonna use a floppy distribution for that cause it's way less stuff to get confused with.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I have a grub boot floppy, just used ubuntu to make it. Now, does anyone know what grub commands I would use boot the ubuntu 7.4 live cd?

I found these commands, but I'm not quite sure how to adapt them to work with a cd-rom drive. (there's only 1 on the computer I'm using)

grub> root (hd0,1)

grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=791

grub> boot

why is it hd0 instead of hda, what's the significance of the 1, and I think I can manage but just in case does anyone know what to put in for the kernel?

thanks, I don't know why they make bios without cd-rom support.

From the Gentoo manual.

The most critical part of understanding GRUB is getting comfortable with how GRUB refers to hard drives and partitions. Your Linux partition /dev/hda1 (for IDE drives) or /dev/sda1 (for SATA/SCSI drives) will most likely be called (hd0,0) under GRUB. Notice the parentheses around the hd0,0 - they are required.

Hard drives count from zero rather than "a" and partitions start at zero rather than one. Be aware too that with the hd devices, only hard drives are counted, not atapi-ide devices such as cdrom players and burners. Also, the same construct is used with SCSI drives. (Normally they get higher numbers than IDE drives except when the BIOS is configured to boot from SCSI devices.) When you ask the BIOS to boot from a different hard disk (for instance your primary slave), that harddisk is seen as hd0.

Assuming you have a hard drive on /dev/hda, a cdrom player on /dev/hdb, a burner on /dev/hdc, a second hard drive on /dev/hdd and no SCSI hard drive, /dev/hdd7 gets translated to (hd1,6). It might sound tricky and tricky it is indeed, but as we will see, GRUB offers a tab completion mechanism that comes handy for those of you having a lot of hard drives and partitions and who are a little lost in the GRUB numbering scheme.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.