[SOLVED] I need some If/Else Help

alconebay

OK, I have a database with fields for name, web, and phone. I'm making a directory page that displays the information, but I want to display only the name and website. However, if the person does not have a web site I want it to display their phone number instead. Here is the section I'm having problems with:

<? echo $name; ?> - <? if ($web==0) {echo $phone;} else {echo $web;} ?>

I have a loop set up so it pulls all the people in the directory but here is what displays on the page (no matter if they have a website or not):

"The persons name" - "The persons phone"

I was under the impression that "($web==0)" means "If the website field is empty" but I must be wrong.

Two side points:

1) Don't use <?  use <?php

<? isn't supported by some servers, and your own server could change the settings one day unexpectedly, and your script wont work anymore.

2) You can change this:

if (empty($web)) {echo $phone;} else {echo $web;}

To this:

echo (empty($web)) ? $phone : $web;

Its shorthand that accomplishes the same thing. Not at all necessary, but a more compact piece of code if you want to use it!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.