[SOLVED] MONTHNAME

phpSensei

Never used this before, but any help is appreciated.

I am trying to get the month name from a date without using the date() function, but rather directly sql query

$months = mysql_query("SELECT MONTHNAME(`date`) as month FROM article ORDER BY `date` DESC") or die(mysql_error());

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($months)){

$row[month].'<br>';

}

Number of Rows in Table: 3

Outputs Nothing

date form in table: 1206661977

thing is, I am using this form 1206661977, a UNIX TIMESTAMP, dont know if thats the problem.

The results are fine, and I tried to do this the long way, by getting all the dates in timestamp, converting them to YYYY-MM-DD, and grabbing the month, and still nothing

<?php

$post = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM article group by  YEAR(`date`)") or die(mysql_error());
   while($row = mysql_fetch_array($post)){

// Timestamp to YYYY-MM-DD
$dates = date('Y-m-d',$row['date']);
echo $dates . '<br>';   

// Grab Months
	$months = mysql_query("SELECT MONTH(`date`) as `months` FROM article WHERE `date` = '".$dates."'");

echo $row['months'] . '<br>';  

}
}
?>

Oh fixed it, nevermind

TOPIC SOLVED!

How?

I used FROM_UNIXTIME, to convert the timestamp to a full valid date and grabbed the data with MONTHNAME or MONTH (number)

<?php 

$post = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM article group by YEAR(FROM_UNIXTIME(`date`)) DESC ") or die(mysql_error()); 

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($post)){ // Timestamp to YYYY-MM-DD 

$Year= date('Y',$row['date']); 

echo $Year;

// Grab Months </p>
           $months = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM article WHERE YEAR(FROM_UNIXTIME(`date`))= '".$Year."' group by MONTH         (FROM_UNIXTIME(`date`)) DESC "); 

echo '     <span class="arch2"><a href="javascript: toggleLayer(\'month_'.date('m',$row['date']).'_'.date('y',$row['date']).'\');">'.date('F',$row['date']). '</a></span><br>';

$month_number = date('m',$row['date']); 
		$year_number = date('Y',$row['date']);

}
		  ?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.