Looking to get large scale website development experience

moon 111

I'm looking to get exprience working with big websites (or as big as anyone would let me get at) working for free but I'm not sure what to do. I think I have enough experience to work on a moderately large website without blowing anything up (and since its for free, who cares if I'm working as long as I don't do that?). Any ideas?

Use the web, get text books... the best way to learn is to break and have to fix - but don't expect things to click over night... Its not that simple. If you don't know anything start with CSS/HTML. Build a few simple margin layouts. Once your done that try throwing in some PHP, including files, after that jump into some SQL and start building a database your site can run off of.

Take small steps though, web dev is a big boys game a lot will be thrown at you and sometimes you have to give up... (stupid graphic design) But take small bites chew them and go for another

• 1 month later...

Why not start your own project with a handful of others.

Say make your own framework? Set up an SVN to allow you all to work together and see if anyone else wants to join in. Have a go at making your own joomla and maybe eventually release it open source.

I'd be willing to help out with it if you decide to go with it

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.