4 replies to this topic

#1 Manixat

Manixat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm not sure where to post this but ... I want to know how sitemaps work, and I know the basics but I don't understand how is every page supposed to be in the sitemap, meaning that I might have like 500 million IDs in my database, how is that all going to go in the sitemap ?

#2 requinix

requinix

Jealous Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,339 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Exactly the way you might think you have to: do a query to get the IDs and whatever information is necessary to know their URLs, then dump it to a file. (Because caching it in a file will be much better than doing it on demand.)

#3 Manixat

Manixat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

so you mean to tell me that the sitemap file has to contain every single possible page and everytime a new ID ( row ) is inserted into a table, which will generate a new instance of a page, I have to add it to the sitemap ?

#4 requinix

requinix

Jealous Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,339 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

It doesn't have to, but yeah pretty much.

#5 Christian F.

Christian F.

Advanced Member

• Staff Alumni
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

If this is for a forum, or something similar, I'd just add a URL to the forum's front page. Plus any other non-thread/post pages, that might be of interest. I wouldn't bother with the actual threads themselves, since they (as you noted) increase in number and change so often.
Keeping it simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com